Understanding how my boiler operates

Sponsored Links
Also to add.

If you are needing to keep an eye on energy usage, you can get a monitor.

Might be helpful.

Or, could be your worst nightmare with BG. The energy display, goes along with accepting smart meters. Nowt much wrong with them, which almost any supplier can arrange, along with an indoor display, of your instantaneous consumption.

Or, could be your worst nightmare with BG. The energy display, goes along with accepting smart meters. Nowt much wrong with them, which almost any supplier can arrange, along with an indoor display, of your instantaneous consumption.
Oh, didn't know that.
I had one and it was given to me as a freebie. I just clipped the head unit to the incoming supply and it read the kwh.

This link is just an example. Im sure there are a bundle of them on Amazon for peanuts.

Oh, didn't know that.
I had one and it was given to me as a freebie. I just clipped the head unit to the incoming supply and it read the kwh.

This link is just an example. Im sure there are a bundle of them on Amazon for peanuts.

Oh you mean the old clip on version just for monitoring the electrical consumption, sorry, I read it as the In Home Display, as you get with a smart meter install. They report precise values/cost for both utilities.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you might read the thread again.

Someone struggling to pay the bills isn't going afford new, state of the art heating systems.

And, gas is probably as good as it gets unless you go for positive heat gain devices such as solar etc.

Stupid comment.
21st century system WILL reduce gas consumption by at least 35%. Then modify the way in which you heat...another 25%..then add hot water on demand (rather than stored) add another 15%....I know because I've taken this approach and can demonstrate that savings (mine was 68% gas consumption reduction for improved comfort levels)

21st century system WILL reduce gas consumption by at least 35%. Then modify the way in which you heat...another 25%..then add hot water on demand (rather than stored) add another 15%....I know because I've taken this approach and can demonstrate that savings (mine was 68% gas consumption reduction for improved comfort levels)
Fully agreed.

I'm walking that sane path myself and upgrading/improving as the older stuff in the house wears out.

The boiler is next which will be a huge turning point in the heat system of the house.

Studying atm about HPs etc but the recovery time on the investment costs (to get the heat loss down) is likely to be longer than I've got left on the planet......

And then there is the wife and kids who are so good at undoing the best laid plans of mice and men.

I know because I've taken this approach and can demonstrate that savings (mine was 68% gas consumption reduction for improved comfort levels)

I fancy many have had to look at their energy consumption, over recent years, but I suspect the only way to get to -68%, is to reduce heating quite drastically, down to essentials. There is only so much you can save, with more efficient boilers, and control systems.

I fancy many have had to look at their energy consumption, over recent years, but I suspect the only way to get to -68%, is to reduce heating quite drastically, down to essentials. There is only so much you can save, with more efficient boilers, and control systems.
Changing to Wiser and zoning every room and rad has made a big dent in the gas usage but the house still needs to be kept warm.

You can only do so much with the structure you inherit.

this is my point about being in the 21st rather than the 20th. Knowledge....

Fully agreed.

I'm walking that sane path myself and upgrading/improving as the older stuff in the house wears out.

The boiler is next which will be a huge turning point in the heat system of the house.

Studying atm about HPs etc but the recovery time on the investment costs (to get the heat loss down) is likely to be longer than I've got left on the planet......

And then there is the wife and kids who are so good at undoing the best laid plans of mice and men.
investment cost is around £1200 for the 21st heating boiler and around the same for a monster hot water heater. With energy bills being around 400% more than they were before the big con, the ROI has been massively reduced in time scale.

investment cost is around £1200 for the 21st heating boiler

You can manage to improve the use of gas, on a gas boiler, by around 10 -15%, by running a boiler more efficiently.

Beyond that, the only way to save, using only gas for heat, is by reducing temperatures, or the spaces you heat. I have compromised on both.

and around the same for a monster hot water heater.

How does, a larger store of water, help?

You can manage to improve the use of gas, on a gas boiler, by around 10 -15%, by running a boiler more efficiently.

Beyond that, the only way to save, using only gas for heat, is by reducing temperatures, or the spaces you heat. I have compromised on both.

How does, a larger store of water, help?
hot water is produced in volume on demand, its know around the world as a continuous water heater. Not known in the UK as heating is influenced by people with no or very low academic qualifications (NVQ's) whom have no rudimentary understanding of the laws of physics never mind their application.
I can provide data for my property in terms of heating/hotwater usage./ consumption/ hours used etc etc (in fact, the boiler gives me this data on pressing a button on the dashboard). so I can demonstrate and validate my claims. What do you base your claim on?
I use system flow temperatures and incoming air temp to manage and modify my heating. I don't have a single zone not room thermostat.
Heating is 24/7 @ 35 degrees flow....humidity and individual room temps are all within 5% of each other

hot water is produced in volume on demand, its know around the world as a continuous water heater. Not known in the UK as heating is influenced by people with no or very low academic qualifications (NVQ's) whom have no rudimentary understanding of the laws of physics never mind their application.
I can provide data for my property in terms of heating/hotwater usage./ consumption/ hours used etc etc (in fact, the boiler gives me this data on pressing a button on the dashboard). so I can demonstrate and validate my claims. What do you base your claim on?
I use system flow temperatures and incoming air temp to manage and modify my heating. I don't have a single zone not room thermostat.
Heating is 24/7 @ 35 degrees flow....humidity and individual room temps are all within 5% of each other
The biggest idiots i know are highly qualified.

It's a red flag to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back