Understanding my pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
First post and all that.
I have recently retired and finally got around to doing all the little things never had time for before: fitting thermostats to all rads, fitting programmable thermostats etc. Really quite enjoyed it. I would now like to understand the pipework in my airing cupboard. I've posted a picture. I can identify the main components like pump, cold feed; ch and water valve etc. Bit the rest are a mystery and wondered if some kind soul could help out.
[Lower bit]
and [Top bit]

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
m.jpg

Sponsored Links
on the return from the coil.
slows the flow through the coil, if its fully open you will find
the water will take the shortest route so your rads will
suffer no heat if both hw/heating on.

So, should the gate valve be fully open or not? Also not clear about the service valve linking the 2 other pipes.
Thanks

if things working ok..leave it as it is....normally open about 1/3 ?

the service valve is a bodged bypass

Hi,
If the sevice valve is a bodged addition, does this mean it should not be there. It is currently open about one third. Should it be just an open connection ie connected from one to the other.
Any advice much appreciated.
The air valve has been like this since house was built. Do I need to get it changed?
Thanks

if it works leave it.

this is a bypass valve.
images.jpg

as for the air seperator the vent should be at the top.

many people still have systems like yours been installed for yrs and work well.

The bypass does exactly what it says, but is it a problem if you do not have 1, as I do not on my set up?

Cheers Dave.

many old systems don't and work well.
a bypass on a y plan is only any good if it fitted with trv's on the rads.

Ah I see, I have 8 rads in my house but only the upstairs 4 have TRV's on them so there is no way I could cut flow completely. Looks like Im OK then.
:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back