Understanding Thermostats

Taking into account all feedback so far... i'm thinking the best set-up is to have a hard-wired room stat on the north facing wall of the dining room... with the radiator in that room fitted with 2 x lock shields and throttled right down.

Coming in close second is the same set-up but in the hallway...

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Sometimes with certain properties there is no perfect location, yours is difficult due to the open plan nature of the downstairs and the presence of another heating source. However, you seem to have a fairly good grasp of the theory, and what you propose sounds feasible to me. The only reason I didn't suggest having it in the dining room is that in your drawing it's shown next to the kitchen doors and if they get left open when there's cooking going on....

Given the walls are open and the electrics and plumbing are starting to go in now, is it feasible for us to have our plumber install the new boiler, rads and TRVs and set up and test the system now without a room stat... and to add in the hard wired room stat at a later date?

Or do we need the room stat ordered and on site when the boiler and rads go in?

Sponsored Links
That's your choice, but to comply with building regulations, your installer can't install a new system without a room thermostat as a boiler interlock. You are also increasing the work, by installing the system, then altering it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back