Understanding this Henley Block

Love the Danger Keep Away sticker on the meter ....
I too find the danger electrical sticker quite hilarious.
Indeed so :). I can't say that I've ever seen a "Keep Away" sticker before.

If one has to 'keep away' from the meter, that presumably is a good excuse for not providing the supplier with meter readings? ;)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I do not like the way that unsheathed tails are touchable - amongst all the other things causing concerns.
It all really needs "Fixing" but even after that it seems doubtful that you would be allowed more than just a few measly amps of a supply anyway.
A bit of "Load Sharing" in your own installation might help a little bit.

If you want to change to electric heating for environmental reasons I‘d look into heat pumps. Direct electric heat isn‘t all that environmentally friendly, especially if you‘re not on 100% renewable electricity.

Sponsored Links
So a bit of an update. The DNO came around and called more vans and three guys ended up replacing a few things. they said that effectively there was no DNO fuse for 3 of the flats and stated the next fuse was in the road and was 400A and did think the 10mm fabric covered cable would do very well with that current should it short circuit.

The DNO cutout although being a 3 phase block only turned out to be 2 phase with each pair of flats sharing one phase of what appeared to be only 60A per phase. The Cutout was rewired to use another of the fuse holders and the tails where connected in. It also turned out that an earth was missing to the two next door flats (one of which was mine which I suspected might be the case) They managed to find some conduit clamps and end up with a earth of 0.19ohms which seemed good considering the CPC is just a series of connected conduit pipes that are 80 years old.

The two fuses that one of which was fused neutral was replaced with a modern fusebox and that was it.

They unfortunately left all the old fabric tails intact as well as my fuseboard so not really much benefit in terms of having any upgraded wiring but as least it is safer,

It looks like i will be going down the new supply route given my supply is even smaller than i had though at 30A

Regards

Nick

Also in response to the heat pump question, it was considered but not suitable in a first floor flat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back