Unmarked copper

n2o

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a bundle of copper tube delivered to a job last week and discovered that the tube has no markings whatsoever, but the plastic end protectors are stamped BS EN 1057 and carry the KiteMark symbol.

When I ordered this copper I wanted to buy British as usual but was told they no longer stocked British and that this tube had all the right numbers.

If a gas incident occurred followed by an investigation would this tube be classed as unfit for purpose or is this just the new way of doing things?

Sponsored Links
I can't comment on your copper or your supplier as I don't know them, but I ONLY use yorkshire copper tube. I know it is vastly dearer than the foreign rubbish you can buy cheaply, but i like to sleep at night ;)

Even my local scrap dealer moans about the quality of the foreign copper :eek:

Other than the lack of markings, what worries you about the pipe?

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck chances are ... It's a duck :LOL:

MW

Sponsored Links
I agree with gas4you - I buy only the best quality components that my suppliers stock. Not all copper tube is of the same quality.

well softus.
I agree with gas4you - I buy only the best quality components that my suppliers stock. Not all copper tube is of the same quality.

its a pity you're not, a metallurgist, and can send me to sleep with your theory.

I presume you get your copper tube from Marks and Spencers.

..this isnt ordinary copper tube...............its.......

Foreign cheap copper has a lot more impurities in it and is thinner as well.

That may be the case G4U but the same question ... What's the net effect?

If the installation is sound and well installed, is it anything to worry about?

Probably not IMO.

MW

But will it last as long?

For how little addition to the cost of an overall job, probably about £100, is it worth the risk? I think not and £100 is not going to lose me a quote as my customers only want the best installations rather than cheapest price.

I guess my question is how much shorter would its life be and would it be significant ... I wouldn't think so would you?

I don't know the answer to that, only time will tell, but personally I am not prepared to risk it.

Call me a tight fisted git but the £100 would be better in my pocket than the suppliers :LOL:

Yes I agree somewhat, but as my profit is done on a percentage on materials the greater the basic cost the greater my percentage mark up is regardless of ant quality issues.

Again this subject is down to personal choice rather than what is right or wrong ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back