Unregistered Electrician gaoled

Sponsored Links
As I've said, unless one were to seriously (and effectively) restrict the availability of electrical materials, I personally doubt that it would be realistic to attempt (as in Ireland) to require 'registration' for unpaid work (certainly DIY work in one's own house), but it could be viable in relation to 'paid work'
How could one restrict the easy availability of materials when the typical border crossing looks like this?
Indeed. As I said in a recent post, it would be next-to-impossible, particularly in relation to 'imports' (particularly when there are border crossings such as exist in Ireland). BAS's solution would probably be to introduce life imprisonment and confiscation of all assets, if not torture and/or death, as the penalty for getting 'caught'! I gather that restricted access to materials works fairly well in Australia, but they don't have any land borders!

Kind Regards, John

BAS's solution would probably be to introduce life imprisonment and confiscation of all assets, if not torture and/or death, as the penalty for getting 'caught'!
Thanks - That gave me a good chuckle! :)

I gather that restricted access to materials works fairly well in Australia, but they don't have any land borders!
And, as I understand it, despite following broadly similar wiring standards using similar accessories, they have a safety record which is no better and possibly worse than New Zealand, which at one time had a more restrictive regime and then relaxed its rules. Stop people from being able to obtain the materials they need to do the job properly and safely, and it won't, as some in authority might believe, just make them all use registered electricians instead; it will make them either not bother with improving things which really should be improved, or try to "get by" with whatever unsuitable materials they can rustle up.

Restricting those who advertise and trade as electricians by requiring licensing is one thing, but as a matter of principle I do not believe that the law should ever make it illegal for a person to carry out whatever work he wishes on his own house.

Sponsored Links
BAS's solution would probably be to introduce life imprisonment and confiscation of all assets, if not torture and/or death, as the penalty for getting 'caught'!
Thanks - That gave me a good chuckle! :)
Well (give or take the torture and death!), it's essentially what he has advocated for the Directors of Amazon/eBay etc :)
Restricting those who advertise and trade as electricians by requiring licensing is one thing, but as a matter of principle ....
As I've implied, I think that would be very reasonable. If one has to be registerd/licensed to trade as a gas fitter, taxi driver or debt collector, why not also for electricians?
... I do not believe that the law should ever make it illegal for a person to carry out whatever work he wishes on his own house.
Needless to say, I largely agree with that, and certainly feel that any attempt as such regulation/restriction would be largely unenforceable/unpoliceable (unless, as discussed, one could cut off their supply of materials). However, I do recognise the contrary arguments - that, even in one's own home, it is not only oneself that is potentially being put at risk if work is done non-competently, not to mention what happens when the house comes under new ownership.

Of course, in terms of the work that is deemed to be 'notifiable', if people play by the rules, then DIYers (and even electricians who are not members of self-cert schemes) are, at least in theory, supervised and 'audited' in all their work in a manner to which no 'scheme member' is ever subjected.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back