Unregistered Electrician gaoled

Is the same true in Ireland?
Not generally in the south. Although many (though not all) wholesalers etc. might want to confirm that you are an Electrician before selling goods to you, online orders from the UK or physical purchases in the north would negate the effects of this. So it is probably a matter of this individual being reported to the CER by a person or persons unknown.
If one doesn't have tight control of the availability of materials (and 'regulating' the imports would be particularly difficult), I doubt that, in practice, there is much hope of controlling what people other than registered electricians are getting up to. Yes, the occasional person might get 'caught', but that would only be a tiny tip of an iceberg.

Kind Regards, John
You must remember that anything requiring the involvement of the ESB (who are the DSO for the south of Ireland) would require a Completion Certificate from a REC, and would need a valid QC (Qualified Certifier) Number to be processed. So there are a number of ways in which the legal requirement can be pushed.

Sponsored Links
You must remember that anything requiring the involvement of the ESB (who are the DSO for the south of Ireland) would require a Completion Certificate from a REC, and would need a valid QC (Qualified Certifier) Number to be processed. So there are a number of ways in which the legal requirement can be pushed.
I presume that "DSO" is what we would call "DNO" in the UK? If so, is the situation in Ireland different from that in the UK (where there would only rarely be any DNO involvement in work on electrical installations).

How long have these regulations been in place in Ireland?

Kind Regards, John

I presume that "DSO" is what we would call "DNO" in the UK?

Yes. DSO means Distribution System Operator.

(where there would only rarely be any DNO involvement in work on electrical installations).

Any installation which has been disconnected from the electricity network requires a Completion Certificate to re-energise the supply.

How long have these regulations been in place in Ireland?

Restricted Electrical Works have been required to be carried out by a REC since October 2013.

Any installation which has been disconnected from the electricity network requires a Completion Certificate to re-energise the supply.
Do Irish installations commonly (if ever) have post-meter isolators and/or isolators built into meters?
Restricted Electrical Works have been required to be carried out by a REC since October 2013.
Thanks. Do you know whether the recently-reported case was the first successful prosecution under these regulations, or the first prosecution which had resulted in a custodial sentence (or neither, given that journalists are not necessarily right!!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Do Irish installations commonly (if ever) have post-meter isolators and/or isolators built into meters?

Isolators have become common as ET101 requires a main protective device installed in the Pirelli Box if the tails exceed 3 meters. In a domestic installation this is typically a 63A MCB which obviously also acts as an isolator. A main switch fuse is used in the distribution board.

Do you know whether the recently-reported case was the first successful prosecution under these regulations, or the first prosecution which had resulted in a custodial sentence (or neither, given that journalists are not necessarily right!!).

It was the first instance involving a custodial sentence. However it was not the first successful prosecution of a non-REC.

Although half a year in gaol would seem to send a fairly strong message.

Isolators have become common as ET101 requires a main protective device installed in the Pirelli Box if the tails exceed 3 meters. In a domestic installation this is typically a 63A MCB which obviously also acts as an isolator. A main switch fuse is used in the distribution board.
In that case I presume that there is a lot of domestic electrical work done which doesn't require DSO involvement?
It was the first instance involving a custodial sentence. However it was not the first successful prosecution of a non-REC. Although half a year in gaol would seem to send a fairly strong message.
Thanks. Indeed so - although we are told that (whether he should have done so or not!) the judge very much took into account the poor and dangerous nature of the work concerned. That obviously a very different matter and (particularly if there have been previous prosecutions without custodial sentences) suggests that the courts would be much more lenient if the quality/safety of the work was not in question, the offences being 'bureaucratic' ones relating to doing the work without the necessary registration and falsely claiming to be registered.

Kind Regards, John

In that case I presume that there is a lot of domestic electrical work done which doesn't require DSO involvement?

Of course, although Certification is still required by the Wiring Rules and indeed by law.

(particularly if there have been previous prosecutions without custodial sentences) suggests that the courts would be much more lenient if the quality/safety of the work was not in question

Perhaps, or it may be that over time the severity of the sentencing is liable to increase.

Of course, although Certification is still required by the Wiring Rules and indeed by law.
Sure, but you suggested that the fact that DSOs would require a Completion Certificate before re-energising an installation would 'catch' (or deter) unregistered people, but it sounds as if that would rarely be the case - primarily only in cases of CU changes when an isolator was not fitted.
(particularly if there have been previous prosecutions without custodial sentences) suggests that the courts would be much more lenient if the quality/safety of the work was not in question
Perhaps, or it may be that over time the severity of the sentencing is liable to increase.
Who knows. What sort of sentences are have been handed down when someone has undertaken perfectly satisfactory/safe work, the only offence being that they were not registered to do it (and/or falsely claimed to have such registration)?

Kind Regards, John

As interesting as this may be it is electrical work outside of the UK so should be moved to the correct section. I think most the cases with Part P have either been extremely sub-standard or the guy has claimed to be a scheme member and it not. The latter is important, as if not a scheme member then the owner is responsible for registration, but if a scheme member then the electrician is responsible for registration.

primarily only in cases of CU changes when an isolator was not fitted.

Not quite true. Often houses (which perhaps have been unoccupied for a period) have been disconnected from the electricity network and require a Completion Certificate for the ESB to re-energise. These ESB reconnections aren't at all uncommon.

What sort of sentences are have been handed down when someone has undertaken perfectly satisfactory/safe work, the only offence being that they were not registered to do it (and/or falsely claimed to have such registration)?

That is pretty much impossible for me to answer as I haven't actually seen what work was or wasn't done in any of these cases. So I only know about the prosecution of a non-REC and/or person/company falsely portraying themselves as a REC. The standard of illegal work may either have been exceedingly good or exceedingly poor/dangerous or anywhere in between.

As interesting as this may be it is electrical work outside of the UK so should be moved to the correct section. I think most the cases with Part P have either been extremely sub-standard or the guy has claimed to be a scheme member and it not. The latter is important, as if not a scheme member then the owner is responsible for registration, but if a scheme member then the electrician is responsible for registration.
As I said earlier, I personally feel that it is interesting here, since it relates to a system which I recently suggested (here) might perhaps be what we ought to have (at least, for 'paid electrical work') in the UK. If you feel that it is not best placed in this forum, it's obviously open to you to decide not to read the thread.

As I've said, unless one were to seriously (and effectively) restrict the availability of electrical materials, I personally doubt that it would be realistic to attempt (as in Ireland) to require 'registration' for unpaid work (certainly DIY work in one's own house), but it could be viable in relation to 'paid work'

Kind Regards, John

primarily only in cases of CU changes when an isolator was not fitted.
Not quite true. Often houses (which perhaps have been unoccupied for a period) have been disconnected from the electricity network and require a Completion Certificate for the ESB to re-energise. These ESB reconnections aren't at all uncommon.
I did say "primarily"! If you look, for example, at this forum, very very little of the work discussed would require DNO involvement. In the case you mention of houses which have been unoccupied for a significant period of time, even if there was a suspicion that work had been done on the electrical installation by a "non-REC", it would presumably often/usually be impossible to ascertain who had done that work?
That is pretty much impossible for me to answer as I haven't actually seen what work was or wasn't done in any of these cases. So I only know about the prosecution of a non-REC and/or person/company falsely portraying themselves as a REC. The standard of illegal work may either have been exceedingly good or exceedingly poor/dangerous or anywhere in between.
Sure, I realise that. I wondered if you knew whether poor standard of work was often mentioned in the course of the prosecutions.

Kind Regards, John

Just a few examples there, but they rather suggest that it comes down to a registered electrician being required for pretty much the same sort of things as require notification for DIY-work in the U.K., i.e. anything which involved the installation of a new circuit, replacing or installing distribution panels, etc. Would that be a fair summary?

Just a few examples there, but they rather suggest that it comes down to a registered electrician being required for pretty much the same sort of things as require notification for DIY-work in the U.K., i.e. anything which involved the installation of a new circuit, replacing or installing distribution panels, etc. Would that be a fair summary?
Basically all work involving a distribution board, including new circuits or protective devices. Also inspection and testing, etc.

A full list is published here:

http://www.walshelectrical.ie/electrical-services.html#restricted-works

As I've said, unless one were to seriously (and effectively) restrict the availability of electrical materials, I personally doubt that it would be realistic to attempt (as in Ireland) to require 'registration' for unpaid work (certainly DIY work in one's own house), but it could be viable in relation to 'paid work'
How could one restrict the easy availability of materials when the typical border crossing looks like this?

border.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back