Unswitched sockets for cleaners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a Civil Engineer and have been looking at some plans for a new healthcare project. I've noticed as well as normal double switched sockets, most rooms have a 'unswitched cleaners socket'. What's the reason behind these being unswitched unlike all the other sockets?

Thanks,
Paul

Sponsored Links
I cannot think of a logical reason, are these sockets specially marked up for cleaners only?
And what do the other sockets do, are they on separate circuits?

I cannot think of a logical reason, are these sockets specially marked up for cleaners only?
And what do the other sockets do, are they on separate circuits?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure about the circuits I've just seen a plan of the rooms and a room data sheet which lists things like the number of double switched sockets, light switches, single switched sockets and then each room has a 'unswitched cleaners socket'. I'll try and find a schematic drawing tomorrow.

Thanks,
Paul

Could this socket outlet be supplied by a nearby switched Fused Control Unit?

Sponsored Links
Quite common in IT data centres to have dedicated circuits for cleaners - it both prevents them from unplugging things they shouldn't and prevents any risk of the electrical noise from hoover motors and the like from affecting the clean supplies to the IT equipment.

I'd imagine hospitals and the like would be similar.

Hospitals are indeed similar, heard a few stories about cleaners unplugging/switching off kidney dialysis equipent and stuff like that!

cleaners sockets are often a non-standard pin configuration so that their appliances don't fit anywhere else, and no-one else uses their sockets.

lots of hospital equipment circuits are on 10mA RCDs as the danger is much higher when you have needles and tubes poked in you.

I can't see any good reason for them being unswitched.

cleaners sockets are often a non-standard pin configuration so that their appliances don't fit anywhere else, and no-one else uses their sockets. lots of hospital equipment circuits are on 10mA RCDs as the danger is much higher when you have needles and tubes poked in you.
Indeed.
I can't see any good reason for them being unswitched.
Nor me - unless as an additional means of identifying 'cleaners only'sockets. I know it's a much wider discussion, but I've often wondered (particularly since shrouded pins on plugs were introduced) whether there is any particularly good reason why any sockets are switched! Facilitating the safe removal of a damaged plug (without de-energising the whole circuit) is about the only specific thing that immediately comes to mind.

Kind Regards, John

How about so that the supply to the load can be removed without having to unplug it?

How about so that the supply to the load can be removed without having to unplug it?

Nah, its so you can't play a joke on the cleaners by rapidly switching their vacuum cleaner on and off and laughing as they scratch their head.
Sorry, done that...

Seriously, no reason to be unswitched but will be fed from a separate General Services board rather than a technical/maintained supply.

they ought to be a different colour to identify them, then.

In data centres I have worked in the cleaners sockets were identified red to distinguish them as being 'dirty' power rather than the desk sockets that were fed from the building UPS.

I guess if something important does get plugged into the cleaners socket, the cleaner can't switch it off by accident.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back