Unswitched sockets for cleaners

Sponsored Links
I guess if something important does get plugged into the cleaners socket, the cleaner can't switch it off by accident.
True, but they could unplug it, if they wanted to plug in their cleaning machine!

Kind Regards, John

In data centres I have worked in the cleaners sockets were identified red to distinguish them as being 'dirty' power rather than the desk sockets that were fed from the building UPS.

I've only seen the exact opposite of that! Normal outlets and cleaners sockets as white sockets, clean supplies in green sockets or white sockets with green switches, and UPS as red socktes or white sockets with red switches.

Does the drawings show the make of these sockets, maybe they are on the drawing as unswitched but actually have something built in for example a keyswitch

Sponsored Links
That's obviously what it facilitates, but is there really any need for that?
Yes, if you have an appliance where you don't want it to be permanently powered. I used to have a kettle where the switch was in the base, not on the kettle itself - very easy to accidentally knock it on, and much better to have a switch on the socket than the plug for the kettle lying on the worktop.

Where we had our tree this year it was easier to reach the socket where the lights were plugged in than the torpedo switch, and easier to flick a switch than remove the plug as it was behind a low table.

When I'm not using my phone or laptop chargers it's easier to just flick a switch than pull a plug or wallwart out.

And so it goes on - I am truly amazed that you have never in your life encountered a situation where it's easier to use a switch than remove/replace a plug.

That's obviously what it facilitates, but is there really any need for that?
Yes, if you have an appliance where you don't want it to be permanently powered. ... And so it goes on - I am truly amazed that you have never in your life encountered a situation where it's easier to use a switch than remove/replace a plug.
I obviously could not claim that I never encounter such situations, and the emergence of wallwarts has created a good few of them - so I was wrong to make such a blanket statement. However, with the exception of wallwarts, most appliances/equipment have their own 'adequate' (and usually accessible) switch, and that is what I would normally use.

Kind Regards, John

I've often wondered .. whether there is any particularly good reason why any sockets are switched!
So now you can stop wondering.

Facilitating the safe removal of a damaged plug (without de-energising the whole circuit) is about the only specific thing that immediately comes to mind.
Because a few other things have come to mind.

We have a similar set up in our engineering office built 5 years ago. Underneath all of the desks are Floor Outlet Boxes containing 4 switched socket outlets and all sorts of data & telephone connections. They are neatly out of the way but it's necessary to crawl under the desks to get to them.

Then there are two boxes each with un-switched single sockets in that are located on the centre line of the room strategically positioned so that the whole office can be vacuumed by using only these two sockets without the need for an extension. They are easily accessible and unobstructed.

Interestingly our cleaner never switches off the sockets she uses in the rest of the building where there are wall mounted sockets. Several are permanently in the on position because of this. So the switches are surplus to requirements in her case.

Some industrial/clinical area cleaners have a big plug with a loop on top for pulling out. It is almost impossible to use the switch once the plug has been inserted leading to users pushing the plug sideways to operate the switch and thus damaging the socket.

Switched Sockets, have their uses - Ideal for the lounge, as you can switch off your telley and freeview box properly, and save expensive electricity in the process (and the safety advantage too).

(I switch off my telley and freeview boxes at the wall every time). :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Switched Sockets, have their uses - Ideal for the lounge, as you can switch off your telley and freeview box properly, and save expensive electricity in the process (and the safety advantage too)

I don't think anybody is disputing the advantage of switched sockets!

To be fair, I have to put my hand up and say that I sort-of did - in a way which I now accept was far too much of a generalisation. However, I have to say that, speaking personally, with the exception of wallwarts, I very rarely find myself switching off a socket.

Kind Regards, John

The flats I manage have 'cleaners sockets' although they are switched. They have a DP isolator in the cleaners store and are only live when the cleaner is working. This stops tenants whose prepayment meters are out of credit using landlord's electric ;)

To be fair, I have to put my hand up and say that I sort-of did - in a way which I now accept was far too much of a generalisation. However, I have to say that, speaking personally, with the exception of wallwarts, I very rarely find myself switching off a socket

I use the switch on socket outlets ALL the time, I just find them more convenient.

And safer than unplugging and standing on the plug! God forbid, nothing worse than standing on an upturned plug at 3am!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back