Unswitched sockets - why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello:

I am going to be fitting worktop level 20A DP switched feeding a radial to an appliance with a plugtop fitted.

All info I have seen recommends an unswitched socket - apart from the obvious 'I can't be switched off accidentally' what are the advantages of an unswitched vs. switched socket - because it certainly isn't the price!

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
Unswitched sockets are ideal for freezer and fridge circuits, where a dedicated B16 breaker feeds a single unswitched socket in the Kitchen or Utility Room etc, to power a freezer or fridge etc - the safest option to use in such circumstances. (Label the socket as Fridge/Freezer supply though).

Sponsored Links
I think s/he's explaining how to fit a non RCD protected socket and comply with regs by marking it as a dedicated socket unsuited for general use.

Also he is extolling the virtues of an unswitched socket to prevent inadvertant disconnection of the appliance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back