Unterminated gas tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took apart the remainder of gas fire that hasn't been used for years.
The copper gas pipe supplying this decommissioned gas fire was cut (at the flame end) and the nut connecting the pipe to the gas tap was loose. It's been like this for years. I presumed that this means that the gas supply was disconnected. Well i was wrong. I unscrewed the tap and hey presto a little bit of gas came out so i quickly screwed it back on. There isn't a leak but this needs sorting out
. So how can this be put right? Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Get a professional in to cap the pipe properly and TEST THE PIPE PROPERLY.

You might not THINK there is a leak but you won't know for sure until it is done properly.

I fact you should turn the gas of at the meter until it is seen to add that is technically an open ended situation.

Get a professional in to cap the pipe properly and TEST THE PIPE PROPERLY.

You might not THINK there is a leak but you won't know for sure until it is done properly.

I fact you should turn the gas of at the meter until it is seen to add that is technically an open ended situation.
I contact a gas eng off Rated People and he quoted £150 to cap and test the pipe. Is that reasonable?

Depending on where you are in London and if it is classed as an emergency....

I don't like giving figures online as it is unfair, but as I work in London, I would say it is a little steep. Unless it is as I said am out of hours booking.

Rated People as a rule is a bag of wank anyway.

Sponsored Links
Should take less than 15mins (including the cup of tea). Allowing for travel, parking etc, you should probably expect to pay the guys minimum (normally 1 hour). £150 is OTT in my opinion.

150 QUID is ripping the pish right out of you.
What you could try is phone it in as a gas leak and the emergency provider may cap it off for nothing if you make him a cuppa tea and do it at a reasonable time during the day

150 QUID is ripping the pish right out of you.
What you could try is phone it in as a gas leak and the emergency provider may cap it off for nothing if you make him a cuppa tea and do it at a reasonable time during the day
I got this chap through Rated People so I agreed not knowing what I should pay. I guess you live and learn. What is a reasonable fee for this sort of job considering it's on a saturday evening?

Saturday evening call out in London makes this not extortionate...

In normal hours my firm would charge around £90 incl. VAT and assuming no other problems/leaks are found.

my call out charge is £120, inclusive and I am in Tufnell Park/holloway..£150 woild be Pimlico plumbers

Rated people attracts chancers, try which Local...or gas safe website for a more local guy...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back