Unused coil in hot water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am undertaking a renovation but need hot water before new boiler is fitted. I have a double immersion Gledhill tank with a fitted coil, which clearly I do not need at the moment. Can I blank off one end, fill it with water and connect the other end of the coil to a very small header tank - so it all heats up together? I am finding at the moment that so much heat is lost from this open coil. Thanks.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
I take it its the indirect coil your referring to?
As its not in use just cap it off or even just duct tape If your trying to stop the warm air.

Thanks, yes it is the indirect coil. Surely if I cap it off at both ends it will expand/explode if the internal air heats up?

if its indirect just leave it un connected. ( it is purely an independant coil) if this is an unvented cylinder then you should be working on it as you need to have a current G3 qualification as it is deemed as dangerous as gas

Sponsored Links
then you should be working on it as you need
---then you should NOT be working on it ---

You can cap it if you really want to. The air pressure would go from say 1 bar at 20° to 1 bar x (273 + 60) / (273+20) = 1.13 bar. Air compresses, it wouldn't explode. You can blow harder than that.
Personally if I were bothered by the airflow I'd use a bit of loo paper to bung the top end.

Last edited:
And isn't that absolute pressure? So 0.13 bar gauge or less than 2 psig, not a lot, as stated above, if any worries, just bung one end.

And isn't that absolute pressure? So 0.13 bar gauge or less than 2 psig, not a lot, as stated above, if any worries, just bung one end.
Yes, 13cm "head" of water, approx. I thought that was obvious but perhaps not. You'd have a bit more trouble blowing 1 bar o_O.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back