Unusual Cental-Heating Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new flat and have strange problem with central heating. The boiler, a Potterton Suprima 60 L, looks fairly new. Much newer than the timer control or thermostat that's for sure. There is a separate hot-water circuit that feeds an immersion tank. The problem is this: When the water is switched off at the control panel the heating works fine: the rads go hot and cold depending on the thermostat as they should. However, when the water is set to ON, the radiators don't ever go cold, they just remain warm when the thermostat clicks off. Furthermore, when the heating is switched off at the control panel the rads remain warm and will only go cold if the water is switched off too. Basically, whenever the water is on, all the radiators go warm - not hot, just warm. Would I be right in suspecting a faulty control valve which is not closing fully and is letting some hot water through to the heating circuit?

Thanks for any help :)

Sponsored Links
I believe you suspect correctly, test ithe pipes leading to and from the valve with the hot water control just on and it should indicate if it is letting by into the heating circuit.
Pete

Sometimes this sort of thing can be a wiring error.

Check whether the lever on the motorised valve is hooked onto the "man" position. 5p says it is because the motor's not working.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
boardragon replyed

Thanks for your comments. I've spent the morning further testing the system and this is what I've discovered - shock horror!

Both motorized valves working normally but the heating circuit comprises just the upstairs radiators. The downstairs rads appear to be tapped from the boiler-side of the valve which means whenever the boiler is on whether it's for the water, the heating, or both, the downstairs rads come on. the pipe-work looks incredibly amateurish. I'm no pro myself but a one-armed monkey could do better than this. What a nightmare! icon_sad.gif

It's fixable, what isn't? But it's gonna mean floorboards coming up, sigh...

MOD 2
posted on wrong thread

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back