Updating Backboiler Controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We have recently moved into a house that has a Baxi back boiler fitted in 1998, and we would like a bit more control over the room temperature.

We currently have a vintage Honeywell T6060 analogue wall thermostat which is bang in the middle of the wall, we would like to move the stat to a corner of the room, there are no radiators or doors in that corner, so i assume it will be ok to change & move to there. Have traced the wiring & happy to chase it to where we want it.

We also have a Glow-worm RWB2 Programmer & would like to fit a programmer that has more than two timing settings, ideally one we can program for mon - fri then sat & sun seperatly with at least two programs per day.

I know these systems are poor efficiency, but we are a bit strapped for cash with just moving & there are more inportant things that need doing. We will get round to updating to a combi boiler eventually.

At the minute, from what i can see, i think this room stat...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONEYWELL-DT9...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item5d2bc36087

and this programmer...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honeywell-ST9...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item3f05eec00e

should work ok?

Any reccomendations would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Mark.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks, that pack actually contains a cylinder stat, which either i'm looking in the worng place, too stupid to find, or it doesnt have one?

Our hot water just seems to keep heating, it gets absoloutly scalding after a while (obv have to have HW on to have CH on), but shouldnt there be some way of controlling the HW temp?

sorry you can get it just with the room stat, your hot water is no doubt on a gravity system, best thing is turn the boiler stat down to around 3.

Sponsored Links
Can get basic control over the hot water temp in your type of set up, with a Honeywell Sundial 'C plan'. Whilst the BBU is working, keep it! It'll give you few problems with freezing condensate pipes, or breakdowns!

Ah, i didnt see that. I cant find a stat on the boiler anywhere? Must be one somewhere though to regulate the water temp?

It is a gravity fed system, boiler behind the fire with pump next to it, large tank in bedroom, smaller tank in loft.

under the fire front there will be a panel you can remove and there will be a knob with numbers on

Hugh, thats what i was thinking, we had the system flushed & the boiler serviced, the engineer said it was in perfect condition, apart from a gas valve was faulty & was using 20(not sure of unit) of gas, when optimum was 17? this is being replaced.

How exactly is the sundial system fitted?

Eaton, i remember seeing that, i thought it was something to do with heating, oops! Its set on 3, not changed it since moved in.

With your system a motorised valve is fitted on the return pipe from the cylinder to the boiler. This is controlled by a cylinder stat that shuts the valve off when set temp in cylinder has been reached. Gives basic control over HW temp, the CH side still works as normal, roomstat operating boiler and pump as required.

Fitment of a valve, cylinder stat and some wiring changes needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back