Updating my bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evenin all,

Got a couple of questions please.

Got a curved bath currently but want to swap it for an L shaped one, are they all the same height and can they be lifted/lowered to meet my existing tiles? Not swapping the tiles and the existing bath sits below the tile line with no tiles behind the bath.

Are the hot and cold pipes easy to extend as I want the taps at the other end on the new bath.

Are those mixer taps with rain shower any good? I have seen one with a long enough pipe to have the shower high up, we have good pressure and the existing tap has a shower pipe but not a long one.

Is laminate recommend (waterproof) in a bathroom? Currently we have tiles but I am taking these up.

Last question, the last person who tiled looks like the did it over existing tiles as the tiles stick out further than the coving, do they sell bigger coving to hide this? Is this such a thing?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
if you are changing fixtures and floor tiles then remove all the wall tiles and make a proper job of it.
laminate is not the best floor cover but its used by some people - sheet vinyl is the most waterproof.
what coving are you referring to?
select a bath and then read the dimensions of the selected bath on the internet. same with details of rise and fall legs etc - google the diagram details.

Hi Bobasd,

The existing tiling is really nice and looks like it cost a fair bit, it’s disappointing they seem to have fitted them on top of the other tiles but other that that looks spot on and if I can get coving to cover the tops then there is no need to swap them, I want to do as much myself as possible and there is no way I could tile, it would take me weeks to get the first one on. Thanks for the info

Moving taps or rotating bath handedness? This will usually mean that the waste has to go the same end as the taps... Do you have the fall and access to get the waste at the other end? ie: will the modifications mean the waste run has to be extended or shortened?
Is your coving plaster or polystyrene foam? Doubt you'll get something that will clad over the existing but you could chop it out and install a new one that is fixed further forward into the room...lot.of work just to get it proud of the tiles though!
For flooring, there are vinyl tiles called "click" that are installed like laminate and come in loads of different styles including wood effect.

Sponsored Links
Got a curved bath currently but want to swap it for an L shaped one, are they all the same height and can they be lifted/lowered to meet my existing tiles? Not swapping the tiles and the existing bath sits below the tile line with no tiles behind the bath.
Yes, bath's are adjustable and can be raised to meet existing tiles if needed, they do need to be level though. You need an experienced installer to install the bath in such a way to ensure it doesn't leak as long as the tiles are level. If it's acrylic then it needs suitable support along the wall and short ends to minimise movement and then sealed properly. Just need to make sure it doesn't exceed the height of the bath panel that comes with the bath though, either that or it'll need a lower filler panel too.
Are the hot and cold pipes easy to extend as I want the taps at the other end on the new bath.
Yes, pipework is easy to modify. It will look strange with the waste at the opposite end though as @dilalio mentions.
Are those mixer taps with rain shower any good? I have seen one with a long enough pipe to have the shower high up, we have good pressure and the existing tap has a shower pipe but not a long one.
They can be, they do need good pressure and flow to be effective though
Is laminate recommend (waterproof) in a bathroom? Currently we have tiles but I am taking these up.
Are they waterproof .... usually not. If they get wet then they tend to swell at the joints. Vinyl panels or sheet flooring is an alternative.
Last question, the last person who tiled looks like the did it over existing tiles as the tiles stick out further than the coving, do they sell bigger coving to hide this? Is this such a thing?
Coving comes in all sorts of shapes and sizes and I'm sure you'll get something to cover what's already there.

Thanks so far, decided to keep the corner bath and get a new panel, are these standard fitting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back