upgrading 8.5 kw shower to 9.5 kw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to replace broken shower,we currently have an 8.5 kw shower,this is installed with 10mm cable and isolating switch outside bathroom.Will it be ok to wire new shower to this?

Sponsored Links
danone487 said:
I have to replace broken shower,we currently have an 8.5 kw shower,this is installed with 10mm cable and isolating switch outside bathroom.Will it be ok to wire new shower to this?
wiring - yes

but whats the rating of the fuse/MCB? and is there an RCD protecting it?

First you must check your earth bonding is ok
But apart from that all will be ok, But it must be 10mm and not 6mm.
:!:

Sponsored Links
danone487 said:
the main fuse board is 100a the fuse supplying the shower has b32 on it,sorry for lack of detail

do you have RCD protecting?

also, 9.5KW is just over 40A. so youll have to upgrade the MCB

excuse my ignorance but how do i find the answer to these.The shower was wired by an electricain approx 2 yrs ago and the house is only 3.5 years old

aww cool, so what do i have to do now? what does b32 on the mcb mean?if i have to upgrade this ,is it possible to do it myself and if so what size should i put in?

danone487 said:
aww cool, so what do i have to do now? what does b32 on the mcb mean?if i have to upgrade this ,is it possible to do it myself and if so what size should i put in?

B45

and if you dont know what the B32 means, then you should leave it for someone who does

It's probably 45A too, but just check the iso is up to the new current.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back