Upgrading Central Heating to S plan

Just goes to show how much easier it is when you can actually see the job properly.

Sponsored Links
Just goes to show how much easier it is when you can actually see the job properly.

I agree with you. It will be lot easier for expert to come and have a look and advise. I am hoping I will find time served engineer locally to do this Job. Then again No BG people coming here they left these wiring mess...

I wouldn't recommend BG, have seen some poor jobs done by them.

A good independent is probably a better bet.

S plan wiring is actually relatively simple but I wouldn't do it if you're not used to working with electrics.

I have an S-plan+ myself and one thing you will need to add / have added is an automatic bypass valve.

Last comment:

If you want upstairs and downstairs on separate zones, it might be possible.

If the upstairs are all on separate branch of the system e.g. a single pair of flow and return to all upstairs with no drop pipes to any ground floor radiators then in theory move the existing motorised valve to a position after the branch to upstairs and add a two port motorised valve to the upstairs branch.

If a ground floor rad comes off before the branch to upstairs then it may need re-piping to suit.

Each zone
Zone 1 ground floor
Zone 2 first floor
Zone 3 Hot water

You would then be able to be able to control independently with one heating zone having a single channel time switch or thermostat/programmer and the other heating zone on the conventional two channel programmer with Hot water control.

+1 on Moggets Autobypass even if the Boiler has one in it then lose the gate valve?

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your advice. Any suggestion on Programmer i.e. Honeywell or Drayton?

I'm looking at the Drayton MiTime 3/4 channel programmer for my own system, but having not fitted one yet I would be cautious in recommending it. Looks nice on paper though!

Maybe someone else can provide some feedback?

I'm looking at the Drayton MiTime 3/4 channel programmer for my own system, but having not fitted one yet I would be cautious in recommending it. Looks nice on paper though!

Maybe someone else can provide some feedback?

Thanks Mogget. I will do research before buying one.

Hello Everyone advise needed please. I had Local Heating Engineer to come and have look on the job. He says pump is on return pipe and hot water configuration is just like radiator i.e. TRV on hot water pipe will shut once the hotwater is at certain temperature. He says I need new piping to Hot water cylinder with another 2 port valve with cylinder thermostat. He quoted me £1100 supply and fit. Please advise is this the correct solution?

Hello Everyone advise needed please. I had Local Heating Engineer to come and have look on the job. He says pump is on return pipe and hot water configuration is just like radiator i.e. TRV on hot water pipe will shut once the hotwater is at certain temperature. He says I need new piping to Hot water cylinder with another 2 port valve with cylinder thermostat. He quoted me £1100 supply and fit. Please advise is this the correct solution?

Correct solution.
Is he supplying a programmer, cylinder stat and all new wiring as well ? Because you should still get something a lot less even with all that included. Or to put is another way he is very expensive even allowing for the convoluted route all the wiring will have to take.

Correct solution.
Is he supplying a programmer, cylinder stat and all new wiring as well ? Because you should still get something a lot less even with all that included. Or to put is another way he is very expensive even allowing for the convoluted route all the wiring will have to take.

Yes everything is supplied. I have been told only little wiring required as the solution involves using wireless thermostats. Please note quote is only for separating hot water and CH using additional 2 port valve. Creating 3 Zones is also possible he said he will come back to me on this. I am taking more quotation. I would appreciate if some engineers from Aberdeen Scotland area can quote for the job! Cheers for help

Did he include fitting an auto bypass valve in the quote? You must have one with your boiler. It is best to get it on paper if you can and ensure everything you require is included.

Did he include fitting an auto bypass valve in the quote? You must have one with your boiler. It is best to get it on paper if you can and ensure everything you require is included.

Its word of mouth quote will ask him to write down everything included. I was little keen on to see what is included myself. Piping which will be used is plastic not copper!! I am getting more quotes just to compare!!

If you want it done in copper then specify copper :idea:

Many people have used plastic quite successfully, but I prefer copper personally.

If the job is done correctly then in Aberdeen that is about the going rate for what you want done, as for getting more quotes good luck in your area, a decent engineer there is very hard to find, there are a few users on here that might be able to help you out but havent seen them on for a while

If the job is done correctly then in Aberdeen that is about the going rate for what you want done, as for getting more quotes good luck in your area, a decent engineer there is very hard to find, there are a few users on here that might be able to help you out but havent seen them on for a while

Tell me about it. Called all the reputable Gas engineering firm in Aberdeen...No one is interested!! What a shame...some even recommending I have to get new boiler so that they can upgrade the system along with that work. I am afraid not to get one from Gumtree as I have had cowboy experience before. If you know anybody in the diynot please recommend me will get in touch please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back