Upgrading existing shower cubicle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Posted this in plumbing forum but re-posting here as on suggestion of one of members.

I want to upgrade my exisiting shower cubicle from 800*800 to 1200*800. The current cubicle is raised due to the waste Pipe.

What are my options for doing this and how shall I approach it?

I will be using the same shower control and will be tiling the plasterboard (400mm) which will be part of new cubicle.

many thanks in advance

View media item 53637 View media item 53638 View media item 53639

Sponsored Links
Is the new shower tray going to be raised also..

Use 12.5mm cement based backer boards to piece in wall...

yes the new shower tray will have to be raised as well due to the waste as it is not going directly into floor but out to external wall then down...

is the backer board for tiling on wall?

yes the new shower tray will have to be raised as well due to the waste as it is not going directly into floor but out to external wall then down...

is the backer board for tiling on wall?

yes the backerboard is for tiling onto the walls mate. Can you not alter the run of your waste so its under the floor ? you say it just goes through an outside wall, its easier and neater if you do it that way. But if you really want to use a raised tray you can buy a UPVC 90 degree angle that just pushes into place around your shower base then sealed with silicon, making it easier for access should you ever need to remove it.

Sponsored Links
thanks

i would prefer to keep the tray raised...

..sorry am totally newbie here..

what upvc 90 degree ..searched on google got lot many different products...what will that be used for?

is this what you are referring to?

pf90bend.jpg

thanks

i would prefer to keep the tray raised...

..sorry am totally newbie here..

what upvc 90 degree ..searched on google got lot many different products...what will that be used for?

is this what you are referring to?

pf90bend.jpg

Hi mate, no thats not what i was referring to, what i am referring to is upvc strip ( its as wide as 18", making it 18" high when stood on ground) cut 2 pieces to the length of your tray, they slot into a 90 degree upvc angle, aprox 1" wide either side. Thats what actually makes it a 90 degree corner to any length you need, you also trim it down to the height you need, makes a first class job. Sorry i am not very good at actually explaining it, but i hope you get the gist

The new tray will come with a new...grate and trap....

Looking at your pics the exsiting pipe work and bends are solvent welded...

So when you position your new tray/grate/trap in...you will need to ...cut a straight length off your pipe work and line up with your trap and solvent weld a straight weld into a straight piece going into your trap...keeping a very slight run on the pipe work...bit off jigsawing the pipe work and bends needed...

As for the front/sides of the tray(facia/kick space).. you should also get a upvc facia with the tray to fit....if not measure the height from floor to underside off tray and buy a piece of upvc from a double glazing firm...This is what the old Geordie git was talking about in the the above post....he ain't the brightest off tile fixer....lol aw right auld yin hope the new hand is 'feeling'..better no pun ment jimmy lol

What already on your walls...tiles trim ect...need more info re:tiling.. : ;)

Just reading back your a newbie.....

The grate.....is what you see in the tray for the water to go in...it's usually silver sometimes white....

The trap...is what you see in pic two...the big white bit...U bend...

You will probably need a small length off...solvent pipe and a few 90" bends to join up to your exsisiting (if possible)...if not replace it all...

Solvent weld is where you GLUE all the pipe/90" bends together pretty easy to do....as above it's all like a small jigsaw.....just make sure you have a slight run from the trap to the exit thro the wall... ;)

Just reading back your a newbie.....

The grate.....is what you see in the tray for the water to go in...it's usually silver sometimes white....

The trap...is what you see in pic two...the big white bit...U bend...These screw together thro the tray..

You will probably need a small length off...solvent pipe and a few 90" bends to join up to your exsisiting (if possible)...if not replace it all...

Solvent weld is where you GLUE all the pipe/90" bends together pretty easy to do....as above it's all like a small jigsaw.....just make sure you have a slight run from the trap to the exit thro the wall... ;)

thanks all..

got it....you meant the front UPVC strip to cover once job is done..i have started the work...came late from office..so doing in little bits..

have taken off the shower enclosures..taking silicone off was tough...next is to take the silicone off around the tray..take wall channels off...

current status img below

1. Any recommendation on shower tray (brand) and where to buy from.
2. What other bits/bobs will i need?

View media item 53704 [/img]

ok have taken off the sealant...enclosure brackets...

am stuck on moving the tray out....

I have unscrewed the base (stand/egs)nuts which were keeping the existing tray at required hight..after reducing the hight..the tray has come down but not able to come out..it is stuck with the base on which the nuts are there...the base is nailed into the timber support shown in picutre..how shall i get it out?

Images shown below

View media item 53718 View media item 53719 View media item 53720 View media item 53721

ok have taken off the sealant...enclosure brackets...

am stuck on moving the tray out....

I have unscrewed the base (stand/egs)nuts which were keeping the existing tray at required hight..after reducing the hight..the tray has come down but not able to come out..it is stuck with the base on which the nuts are there...the base is nailed into the timber support shown in picutre..how shall i get it out?

Images shown below

View media item 53718 View media item 53719 View media item 53720 View media item 53721

on your first picture ( shower tray ) on the far left is a half tile, take that off and that will give you movement to pull the tray away from the plasterboard and out.

thanks how do i take the tile off..will it break the adjacent tiles as well...after taking the tile out..there will be plasterboard wall behind it..will i need to cut that as well?

or as the new tray will be extending along the right wall in that image...shall i cut the plasterboard wall out to take the tray out..

& it is very heavy :rolleyes: ... and i am on fast day for my 5:2 diet..ho hum..

thanks how do i take the tile off..will it break the adjacent tiles as well...after taking the tile out..there will be plasterboard wall behind it..will i need to cut that as well?

or as the new tray will be extending along the right wall in that image...shall i cut the plasterboard wall out to take the tray out..

& it is very heavy :rolleyes: ... and i am on fast day for my 5:2 diet..ho hum..

you are tiling the plasterboard so i am assuming you have spare tiles, if so just break that half one out, try from the bottom edge, if not, try drilling a few holes close to each other to give you a starting point. You might be able to get the tile off the wall with minimal damage to the plasterboard, if you do damage it, repair it then when ya ready install ya shower tray, tile then seal. The weight of your tray depends on what its made from, plastic ones are not heavy at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back