Upgrading my boiler thermostat. Best option please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new boiler fitted last year.

IMG_3183.jpeg

I used one of the companies that do it within the day. I requested a Worcester Bosch with a smart thermostat. They persuaded us that an Ideal boiler would be better.

To be fair I am impressed with the boiler’s performance. The bath fills quicker than the previous boiler. I am, however, annoyed with a couple of issues. One, the fact I didn’t get a smart thermostat and two, the location of the receiver for the thermostat. I had boxed the pipe work in but had to rip it down for the boiler to have it’s first service which didn’t go well.

I’m going to box the pipe work in again but first I’m going to block up the gaps in the ceiling and ideally move the receiver to a more sensible position before replacing it with a smart one. You might question why I want a smart one. The reason; I went on holiday recently and forgot to set the programmer to holiday. I was so distressed while away to see how much gas I was using to heat an empty house.

So what’s my best way forward?

Sponsored Links
We had a new boiler fitted last year.

View attachment 323604

I used one of the companies that do it within the day. I requested a Worcester Bosch with a smart thermostat. They persuaded us that an Ideal boiler would be better.

To be fair I am impressed with the boiler’s performance. The bath fills quicker than the previous boiler. I am, however, annoyed with a couple of issues. One, the fact I didn’t get a smart thermostat and two, the location of the receiver for the thermostat. I had boxed the pipe work in but had to rip it down for the boiler to have it’s first service which didn’t go well.

I’m going to box the pipe work in again but first I’m going to block up the gaps in the ceiling and ideally move the receiver to a more sensible position before replacing it with a smart one. You might question why I want a smart one. The reason; I went on holiday recently and forgot to set the programmer to holiday. I was so distressed while away to see how much gas I was using to heat an empty house.

So what’s my best way forward?
Go full auto.

Wiser hub and build on that bit by bit (or all at once if you want) and move into the 21st century.

Fully interactive and automatic.

Likely they had a better discount on the Ideal, rather than it being a better boiler. Did you pay for a Smart Thermostat?

Looking at that, they didn't so much take the boxing in down, as rive it away. Maybe next time, make it easier to remove, without any damage.

Sponsored Links
Likely they had a better discount on the Ideal, rather than it being a better boiler. Did you pay for a Smart Thermostat?

Looking at that, they didn't so much take the boxing in down, as rive it away. Maybe next time, make it easier to remove, without any damage.
No I didn’t pay for a smart thermostat. The Ideal boiler out performs my old Worcester Bosch so no issue with the boiler.

I did a quick box in of the pipework because it needed covering up fast. It was me that rived it off as I wanted them to get on with the service. I will make a better job of it next time with easy access to the filter.

Had problems getting it serviced because of blocked gas main. That was fun because of too many ‘not my job’ attending the problem. Cadent, utility supplier, service engineer etc.

I’ve ordered a Wiser receiver and thermostat. Hopefully will have it fitted next weekend then I’ll progress with radiator stats over time.

Got my Wiser Kit one. Can anyone confirm I just need to move one wire from 2 to 3 for the backplate to accept the Wiser? I know the wires need to come from behind the backplate which the installer evidently didn’t. Current receiver is a ESRTP4RF+.

I would have liked to connect up the opentherm as well but not sure if that’s wise.

My current boiler and control have Opentherm but my installer didn’t bother to link it up. Is there a reason that they don’t?

Attachments

• IMG_3227.jpeg
    IMG_3227.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Ended up having to change the backplate because they are slightly different. Works fine. I’ll be connecting the Opentherm when I obtain some suitable 2 core shielded cable. Wiser TRVs will be added over time.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back