upgrading my johnson and starley j54-64 warm air heater

btw in regards to the pcb situation im not sure you actually read my post. I was just giving the op a heads up to the current situation with replacement control boards and fan regs for the older units.

Sponsored Links
MickyG, What I was trying to say is that there isn't a PCB in the model the originator has, but that PCBs and all J/S spares will be available for years after a more modern one is installed. J/S have a 100% track record on spares, and a warm-air unit is likely to outlast a Combi by around 20 years..

I'm not trying to start a needle match in the Forum, just giving the originator as much info as I have.....which isn't limitless. :rolleyes:

For the benefit of some of the potential DIYers who read this I should like to warn about the potential hazards of buying second hand.

There is a very nasty "fault" whereby the inner part rusts away and allows the products of combustion ( which we all know contains carbon monoxide ) to mix with the circulating air.

An unscrupulous penny pincher might well advertise a faulty unit for sale. Either knowingly or unknowingly.

Thats why its so important that a competent gas registered person installs and commissions these units.

I am also registered for these units but hardly ever go to any.

Tony

All of which would be pertinent if the original post was in Jan 2012.

But it was a year ago, he's probably poisoned himself by now.

Sponsored Links
Tony

I agree with what you say to a point, but you are talking about 60/70s McClarys and Lennox's that rusted. I have been maintaining and installing warm air heating as a specialty since 1968, and am now 68, and have NEVER had to replace the Heat Exchanger on a Johnson and Starley: I won't say they're infallible, but 43 years is a long time. I think it unlikely in the extreme that a registered installer would ever fit a unit with a defective heat exchanger; this is why I would also advise strongly against DIY as you have rightly pointed out.
Another point to consider is that non-registered upstarts are unlikely to have had experience with warm air anyway; only more establish installers have been around long enough to even attempt replacement. Everyone else says "change to a wet system"
I have to say that although this is a worthwhile thread, I'm amused that the originator seems to have lost interest. LOL (':D')

Cheers

Mac :D :D

Didn't you notice the OP first posted this thread a year ago?

I think it was a J & S which I found with a holed HE. It was a builder who was fiddling with it and I stepped in ( unpaid ) because I realised the dangers of what he was doing.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back