Upstairs lighting in cluding wall lights!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nearly finished re-wiring this bloody house!!!

The customers want only wall lights in the master bedroom and on the landing!!

The rest are going to be on a "loop in loop out" daisy chain. No problem

Can I have a bit of advice as to the best way to bring these retched wall lights in to the "chain"

In the master bedroom there will be 2 wall lights on different walls to be controled by one 1G1W switch.

The landing wall light needs to be on a 2 way swiching circuit!!!

I am feeling a little unsure of the correct / best way to achieve this set up

:(

Sponsored Links
Loop at the back of the switch (fit a 25 or 35mm backbox to accomodate the extra wires).

For the 2-way landing lights, loop in at one of the switches, then just have a 3+E to the other switch.

In view of the question, are you sure you should be wiring this house?
Are you a registered domestic installer or have you notified your local authority in advance?

Oharaf is a newbie Part P, so he has the qualifications and is cutting his teeth on the 1st few installations.

If the walls have cornice, chase to the cornice lip, drill a 25mm hole horizontally in to the wall at the lip (about 30mm depth), then get a 15-20mm multi head drill (brick+ wood combi drill) and use that to break a route between the cornice lip and floor void above. Aim for 15-20 deg angle to avoid any rafter / wood stud at the floor void level.

Hope that makes sense.

On a side note, occupide houses are a PITA- I've just finished a 13 room house (1st fix) where the builders have taken everything back to a skelton structure. It only took 4 days to wire 3 rings, 3 light cicuits, 2 showers, oven, hob, garage, smoke detection, Cat 5, TV dist, phone and alarms- Same job in a occupied house would have taken 2-3 weeks!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your concern Ebee!!!!

chri5, thanks for the back up there mate

Tell me about it, this is a 3 bed semi, with roof area. Today was day 9 1/2, have now installed, up ring, down ring, up lights (just about), CAT5 up and down, roof area!!

Still to do outside lights and lights to roof area and CU, Main Eq bonding!!!

Wholey agree total PITA.

Also with the brief for lighting upstairs, the 2 sets of wall lights make a simple daisy chain near enough impossible!!!

The Flat roof has really extended the time it has taken also; working from below, drilling joists, channeling into the ceiling voids.

Looks like a war zone at the moment, customer is very understanding thou.

Thanks for the advice re lights, will get pics next week

CANNOT wait to finish now!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back