Upstairs neighbours' noisy plumbing!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a ground floor flat and hear a humming/rushing noise every time the upstairs neighbour uses water. The noise isn't a bang or vibration, its similar to the noise if refilling a combi boiler.
They still have storage heaters and a cold water tank upstairs and I hear this noise every time they turn a tap on, run a bath, use the washing machine...
I've had nothing but problems from them and am now writing to them and the Freeholder with a list of work that needs carrying out to save my property... and my sanity! I've had water through the ceiling 5 times; 3 times in the kitchen & twice in my bedroom from their bathroom! I want some kind of idea what the noise is because its annoyingly loud? (high pressure? scaled up pipes? air lock? leak? crap plumbing?) and what do they need to do to stop it? and is it linked to the leaks? The 3 from the kitchen they have blamed on the sink twice and now the washing machine and in the bathroom they blamed the shower.

Sponsored Links
Also the overflow from their tank is constantly dripping into my garden saturating the ground and making the wall wet! I had a bucket under it for a few weeks and was collecting more than 5 gallons a day!
Every month I tell them, they do something (??) the drip stops for about a week and then starts again! Is this related to the noisy plumbing? or what have they got to do to fix the leaking overflow permanently?

Sponsored Links
overflow sounds like a faulty ballvalve which will constantly be filling from the mains supply.

change the ball valve for under £10

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back