UPVC double glazing .. Expansion ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, newbie here

My existing wooden framed windows have reached the end of their useful life and i've decided to have a go at replacing myself with some UPVC units, starting with a few of the smaller ones as a trial.

On one of the windows (1.4m wide , 1m hieight), i jammed a length of wood (very tightly) between the top of the frame and the concrete lintel above to secure as there seemed to be excessive movement in the top of the frame, when the window at the top of it was opened / closed. The piece of wood runs the complete width of the frame. I also screwed through the frame from the inside through to the wood to further secure and prevent movement

However, someone mentioned to me that i could experience a problem with expansion of the upvc as I have allowed for no movement in the frame at all. I wasn't aware of this at the time and am now worried that i may have a future problem with the window which i jammed with the wood.

Can anyone advise how much the frame is likely to expand and is there a danger of the frame bursting / or breaking the glass unit? Do i need to re-expose the frame and remove the wood and secure by some other means or can i just leave as is ?

I'd appreciate some advice, thanks

Sponsored Links
If they are white windows you should be fine, not much expansion on white, dark woodgrain is another matter!

If possible you should get yourself a foam gun and fill the expension tolerance, approx 5-10m around the frame with foam, double joy as you 'fix' the frame and allow for expansion.

thanks for the quick reply

The windows are made of white upvc, which are Brown on the outside (foil covered)

I'm not keen to have to re-do this window as i have already finished off the insides so would take quite a bit of work. However i am happy to do it if there is likely to be a problem.

Is there likely to be much expansion, given the size of window and is there likely to be a problem ?

Sponsored Links
I doubt the glass will break, theres quite a bit of space between the frame and glass, I'd be tempted to leave it and see how you get on.. I've fitted tight windows without any trouble later BUT that said its only you that knows if they can live with it or if it will do you head in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back