Upvc french door broken handle(?) and /or lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The handle on our door sems to be broken as it turns round almost 360 degrees without any resistance!!!. Have taken off the handles from both sides but cannot see an obvious problem. The lock will not work as the "connection" between the handle/lock seems to be lost.
The door is locked shut.
I don't want to contact a locksmith if it could only need a new handle needed.
Any thoughts/ideas of what to do now gratefully received
Nellymo

Sponsored Links
it does sound as if the locking mechanism has failed, with the handles off, take out the sqaure bar then look where the square bar goes through. you'll probably find this is cracked/broken. Probably will need the locking mechanism changing (they aint cheap!) has the door ever been difficult to lock? they only usually fail if they are old or have had heavy use.

Thanks for the reply
The door is only about 4 years old.
It does get a lot of use and has at times been a bit temperamental!!
About how much money are we talking about if the lock mechanism has broken??

to be honest i couldn't say i do often change these locking mechanisms but it's all supplied by the company i work for. If the door is only 4 years old see if it still has any warrenty left on it most doors have between 5 and 10 years on them, might be worth a try!

Sponsored Links
if the mechs broken,which seems the case then a decent locksmith (www.locksmiths.co.uk) would charge around 40-60 for labour and 60-120 quid for the mech (all plus vat),a lot does depend on the mech itself,make model etc.see if you can get a free quote 1st.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back