Upward Garage extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are looking into extending above our attached garage/utility room with a front to back extension. Thought planning stage so far.
The garage itself juts out from the main line of the house by around 2 metres.Best example i can find is here http://www.bellway.co.uk/ne/HadrianVillage/pdfs/BELSAY2.pdf
very similar style house as in front elevation.
The external wall is single brick leading onto the double skinned utility room which is directly behind the garage.
Now i need to ask, would the garage wall have to come down in order to build up or can an rsj be mounted on the external wall and across to the main wall on the opposite side of the garage ?
A few houses on our estate have had alterations done and a few have had walls come down whereas others have just built on top the existing wall.
One builder said that the foundations were sound so they just built a block wall from garage level and continued to roof, surely this will decrease the width of an already small garage ?

Sponsored Links
this very similar what im thinkin of doing, so any info would be greatly appretiated...

i wish to build about the garage and kitchen, a bedroom and ensuite.

house is in the northwest of england and i think the approx size would be about 25m2

cheers

a large amount of the buildings weight is sitting on the internal block work, so careful consideration is needed of how to support this element.

loss of 6" of internal space is a necessary sacrifice to make in a lot of scenarios.

you can support the inner leaf, from the first floor upwards using r.s.j.'s and 225mm brickwork piers. this can be complex and requires a structural engineer or a very good architect, to plan it out.

but dont be surprised if you have to dig an internal foundation and build the blockwork up from there.

cheers mate.

im guessing the garage will be a single skin, any idea what the cost would be around...

ive read anything between £500 and £1000 per square metre?

Sponsored Links
I have planning and building regs appoval for a similar build.

Couple of images from my plans may paint a picture.

Garage Founds.

18004201359.jpg

Lintel placement

18004260774.jpg

I got 2 quotes for the shell inc. guttering.

One from a member of FMB £22,000
and one from a contact £15,500

My build is 24m2 in the north east - Hope this helps.

Doc Lenny, looks almost identical to the ones we wanted, i say wanted as its now been put on the back burner for a few months whilst we tackle other much needed projects.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back