Urgent advice needed, Need architects in woodbridge suffolk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fighting the battle of my life opposing an extension next door. It breaks the 45degree line twice, site plans are wrong and planner is adoment she wants to pass it.

I have full backing from parish council and county councillor, but instead of planning being refused or even going to a sub committee she wants to give planning permission even with all the mistakes and objections being pointed out to her. I've been advised now that my councillor has asked for a second opinion of which I'm getting. But the main thing is I need extra proof on paper and have been advised to get an architect involved.

Can anyone out there tell me how much they would normally charge for this sort of thing and can anyone recommend someone in the woodbridge area of suffolk. This is very urgent and I need to get the ball rolling a.s.a.p.

Many thanks for any help given
dawn :confused:

Sponsored Links
You'll spend thousands of pounds fighting a losing battle. The best that will happen is that they make nominal changes to make it conform - but it'll still be an extension next door. Forget it. Live with it. You are on a hiding to nothing.

Happy reading: http://www.stirling.gov.uk/dan_daylight.pdf

Try a proper Right Of Light Consultant rather than an architect though if you must waste your hard earned! BTW some councils do not use (recognise) the 45 degree rule as part of their planning policy. Have you enquired as to whether your council does or not? The ruling is not always that easy to follow, are you sure it breaks the rules, working as I have done for commercial practices many unhappy neighbours have sited the 45 degree rule as a reason for refusal but have ultimately been proved wrong.

Sponsored Links
I don't know what this councillor can actually do for you.

If the planner recommends approval then it will be dealt with under delegated powers by their manager. If it goes to committee, then it goes to a vote, and is not the decision of one person

A report by anyone is not going to help you, and I don't know why the councillor has suggested it. The plans and the council policy are already there to be seen

If you can get enough objections - three or more I think, then it must go to committee and you can have a say at the meeting.

You could make a formal complaint if the planner is not applying the councils own policies. Ask if the planner is related or connected to the applicant or agent if you want to stir things up a bit

If you do want to engage someone, then you need a planning consultant and definitely not an Architect or anyone else - try www.rtpi.org.uk

Firstley the site plans show both houses as being level, they are not. As the site plan is avaliable online, I complained to the planners that it is incorrect and misleading to the public. Planner has measured 45 degree line vertically and it is crossed.

However the 45 degree line has been measured from our patio doors. I thought that it was the rule that it should be measured from a habital room that would be affected the most. As the extension is a first floor extension, I feel the most affected room will be our first floor bedroom, if this is correct than the 45 degree line will be crossed by over12.5feet. Is my thinking on horizontal 45 degree line correct?

I have found a great architect who's reputation is really good and he's not pricey either. His opinion is that the building will be too big and overbearing.

I spoke to someone in planning and was concerned that they were ready to sign off the application on wrong decisoins. I asked if they'd seen my objections and photos, the answer was no. Now all of a sudden the decision is going to committee. It may or may not go my way, but at least I'll have the veiw of more than just one person and the full backing of my councillor and parish councill.

Would really love to have the 45 degree rule clarifyed. If the neighbours extension is first floor, does the 45 degree horiontal line have to come from your first floor habital room from your property.

By the way, site plans submitted for planning applications for house extensions do not legally have to show any levels whatsoever. The planners can request them following their submission but there have been no rules broken in submitting them however the land slopes.

Would really love to have the 45 degree rule clarifyed. If the neighbours extension is first floor, does the 45 degree horiontal line have to come from your first floor habital room from your property.

My previous dealings with our LA are that if you're proposing a two-storey extension or carrying out a first floor extension, then the 45 degree rule is used and it is taken from the centre line of a window (or door) to a habitable room. Kitchen's can also be classed as habitable rooms if they are deeper than 2m as you could define them as kitchen/dining. The windows are most commonly those adjacent to the boundary.

As for the differences on the site plan, a competent planning officer should pick this up upon carrying out a site visit. And if the proposals differ in levels that much, then the proposed buildings will either be too low or too high. Too low isn't that much of a problem but building them too high can result in enforcement action.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back