Urgent advice needed please for 10" pitch roof replacem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new here and looking for some advice if anyone can help. We have a badly leaking 10" pitch roof on our split level bungalow. It's currently covered in clay tiles which we now know are not suitable for this pitch of roof and these have to be replaced. The roof area covers just over 200 sq/metres. We have a builder who is quoting us for other work we are doing inside the house and he got his roofer to come and quote for the work for our roof.

What he is talking about is to take everything off and lay plywood, some sort of membrane to waterproof it and lay the Decra metal tiles on top. For this work he has quoted us £28,000 plus vat. Now we know that the decra tiles are £9/sq/m so we are wondering how the price is so high. Does this seem excessive to anyone else or is it just us? I have already called for 3 other roofing companies to come and quote an estimate but noone has bothered calling us back up to now so we have no other estimate to go on for now. We were wondering whether it would be cheaper to change the pitch on the roof but the builder says this would be more expensive. We had originally thought of having a loft extension which the roof would then be done at the same time but because it is split level it's not an easy job and we were quoted £160,000 by the same builder for that work. Looking at the price of just re-roofing which would add no value to the house, the loft extension seems better value but it's a huge cost.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of roof and advice on what we can do with it?

Really appreciate if anyone can help.

Sponsored Links
You need to find yourself another builder pronto.

Either you live in an enormous house or you live in a very expensive country.

I presume by typing 10" pitch you actually mean 10° (degree) pitch yes/no?

In my opinion 10 degrees is unworkable and should be considered flat.

Hi, I'm new here and looking for some advice if anyone can help. We have a badly leaking 10" pitch roof on our split level bungalow. It's currently covered in clay tiles which we now know are not suitable for this pitch of roof and these have to be replaced. The roof area covers just over 200 sq/metres. We have a builder who is quoting us for other work we are doing inside the house and he got his roofer to come and quote for the work for our roof.

What he is talking about is to take everything off and lay plywood, some sort of membrane to waterproof it and lay the Decra metal tiles on top. For this work he has quoted us £28,000 plus vat. Now we know that the decra tiles are £9/sq/m so we are wondering how the price is so high. Does this seem excessive to anyone else or is it just us? I have already called for 3 other roofing companies to come and quote an estimate but noone has bothered calling us back up to now so we have no other estimate to go on for now. We were wondering whether it would be cheaper to change the pitch on the roof but the builder says this would be more expensive. We had originally thought of having a loft extension which the roof would then be done at the same time but because it is split level it's not an easy job and we were quoted £160,000 by the same builder for that work. Looking at the price of just re-roofing which would add no value to the house, the loft extension seems better value but it's a huge cost.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of roof and advice on what we can do with it?

Really appreciate if anyone can help.

Hi
My first post & as a Roofing Contractor who deplores rip off merchants, I hope I can be of service to people on here looking for professional advice.I am not here to brag or be billy know all but I am someone who has advised on Historic Scotland roofing projects just lately and feel I can be off use to you.

1. What is your current boarding if any covering the joists? ie Celotex, Foil Plasterboard.
2. Is your roof verge to verge or with hips/valleys/eyebrows?
3. Bear in mind that the actual temperature in your loft should be as near outside as possible.
4. I would be worried about the possible condensation issues with the roofers proposals, metal decra sheet needs to be at least fleece backed for residential properties with other issues and to be honest from what you describe, without more information I would look down the line off, a complete strip off down to joists, joist inspection-photographs from ANOTHER roofer who knows what he's doing or even better go up yourself & see what they are like when roof is stripped.
Fix sarken to joists with 7 mm gaps between each board.
Fix Daltex Roofshield-best-or-Protekt VP 400 best budget to deck with staples
Fix counter batons-12-19 mm.
Fix 25x50 treated tile batons.
Fix specially made for pitches down to 10 degrees with built in weather bars Forticrete Centurion roof tiles www.forticrete.co.uk.
without any more details that would be the best standard proceedure or get coloured Firestone Epdm Rubbercover if the appearance isnt as important as the waterproofing timescale.
Ventilation is of critical importance, especially on older properties which were never designed with any real heating/ventilation issues in mind.
On a ten degree pitch ventilation should be a primary consideration.

Thank you to both of you for replying so quickly. Yes in my haste, it should be 10 degrees not inches! The problem with the builder is he is contracting out the work and they seem to all want their cut, large scale! It is a big roof, covering 5 bedrooms of the split bungalow so over 200m/sq. It isn't an old property, probably around a 60/70's build which previously had a copper roof and was then reroofed around 20 years ago by a cowboy who put on clay tiles when they weren't suitable for that pitch of roof. We are getting rain water coming in at various points around the end edges of the roof, around the whole property, some areas worse than others.

I don't know what boarding there is up there but I will try to find out. I haven't a clue if it is verge to verge or eyebrows, too technical for me!

Appearance is fairly important as well as waterproofing, that's why we wanted something that looked like real tiles if we couldn't have clay/slate. So your opinons would be the same as mine then, he's ripping us off? Phoning round a couple of roofers just now to see if someone can come and have a look at it. Thanks again for all of your advice.

Sponsored Links
Whilst i agree with bpcroofing on most of his points, especially ventilation, i have reservations about using tiles on a 10° pitch.

I know there are tiles designed for shallow pitches but these are only considered for simple roofs, i.e. a lean-to without any complicated factors.

I think that once you are looking at a roof with hips or valleys, roof lights, dormers or the like, then i would be cautious about using tiles or at least follow manufacturers recommendations to the letter.

Jo 1904

Best bet is really to call in architects, let them deal with it. Tiles arent the best bet for your pitch-rubbercover is.
I reckon you could get new trusses made up as well if you really want tiles but at a better pitch.
I have installed Centurions with no problems whatsoever, water cannot run back-they are specially designed that way.
Best to use a roofer who has used them before as well, at those pitches your full weight is on them, Im 12 stones my labourer 14, but I walked to the ladder & took gear from him, rather than let him walk on them-Fat roofers have no chance, though they are durable enough.

Thanks again for all of your help. I think the best way would be for someone with experience of flat roofing to come and have a look. BPC Roofing, would you be able to come to Glasgow to have a look and give us a quote? Should I just contact your firm directly or will I contact you through here? Thanks again, you have all been a great help. Jo

Thanks again for all of your help. I think the best way would be for someone with experience of flat roofing to come and have a look. BPC Roofing, would you be able to come to Glasgow to have a look and give us a quote? Should I just contact your firm directly or will I contact you through here? Thanks again, you have all been a great help. Jo

Jo I would be delighted to quote you on this work, best to contact me direct-Use the contacts on the website www.bpcroofing.co.uk.Thanks & I look forwards to meeting with you.

Jo I would be delighted to quote you on this work, best to contact me direct-Use the contacts on the website www.bpcroofing.co.uk.Thanks & I look forwards to meeting with you.

http://www.bpcroofing.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back