URGENT help please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler Make & Model: Sime Super90

Problem: Called a plumber to change the divertor. They took it all apart and then realised it was the wrong part. Put it all back and the boiler wouldnt ignite! They have now said it needs a new "board" but have been without hot water and heating for 3 nights now ... dont know when the board or plumber may be arriving :oops:

Is there anyone local to Walsall West Midlands who could help me, the kids and the dog to get warm and get this fixed or to get a new boiler installed before Christmas. :)

Anymore info you require please let me know

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the boiler doing?

Does anything at all happen or is it just dead?

How did it ignite before if your diveter was faulty or are you saying it worked only on CH? Also beware those who suspect the board as a first resort.

Thank you both for your replies.

It sounds like a fan is turning, there is no ignition happening.

Before CH was fine and water was hot when heat was on. Reason for divertor change was when heat was off water was only lukewarm.

Sponsored Links
Does sound a bit like diverter, or flow switch. Don’t know the model, only the brand. How old is it?

Probably about 7-9 years!

I wonder what his muppet plumber has to say?

Suppose this was someone who took out a claim for damages for discomfort for no heating or hot water over christmas?

If he is incompetent he should never have started something that he is not able to complete!

Tony

Is it possible he has knocked the ignition PCB [Red or Blue box] when working on the diverter valve which usually sits behind it?

Could be a coincidence that pcb has gone !

Reason I say that is that in my experience most of faulty Simes I have come across [OK not many about] seem to have an ignition pcb problem although this was sometimes caused by a faulty fan and once by the APS wires falling on to the combustion chamber casing where they melted and then blew the ign. PCB

I know this sounds very basic but have you tried resetting it.

I found MI's for a later model which stated the following

If the burner does not ignite, the red lock
out indicator will light up (fig. 3).
In order to re-attempt boiler ignition, place
the rotary switch to the
{FLAME*}position and
release it immediately, then turn it back to
the summer or winter.

Isolating power for thirty seconds and then turning on usually resets most boilers as well.

*I couldn't copy and paste the flame pic !*

:D Fixed this afternoon no thanks to the plumber..he let me down again today with some lame excuse by saying no parts available.

In the meantime:-
British Gas called me back after i requested some assistance and wanted £156-00 to come out on Monday sometime to fix it, when i said do they carry parts or have access to parts on Xmas Eve for this type of boiler which is 12 years old! The answer was silence.They then asked if they should come out and do a survey for a new boiler, i said ok but to cut a long story short some doughnut sales person rang me and stated that i would be looking at £2800-£3000 for a new boiler and install...pretty amazing considering he didnt even come to my house, you can no doubt think for yourselves what my answer was to that :evil: This must be a standard pricing structure no matter what i guess....oh he did state they they do only fit the best available Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40kw....i ve heard these are good but i must say i wasnt desperate to part with 3k this side of Christmas :cry:

Anyway, back to my "plumber" friend, he said that the earleist would be if i was lucky next Thurs/Fri, so besides breaking my boiletr in the first instance he tells me this by text and dont even apologise that my family has suffered since Tuesday because of him and his incompetent employee.
What i did was a bit of additional internet research and seeked advice from good plumbing outlets in trying to get a consistent reason for failure of my boiler which all pointed towards the IGNITION PCB. After 10-15 phone calls up and down the country i did eventually track one down approx 35 bmiles away from me. I went down there and even left the guy the £6-00 change from 60-00 as a thankyou and because he knocked £20-00 off the boardx as he had it in stock for around 2 years..it was new of course.
I drove back home, turned off the fuse spur, took the fuse out and started to dismantle taking the board out which took approx 35 mins and the put the new one in. After connecting all up i switched on the spur closed my eyes and switched on the boiler...it clicked away and then the ignition light came up and the boiler booted, it was magic in my eyes.

I would just like to thank you guys for your advice in this topic and for the detail you put on the site, its fab and you guys are a credit to the plumbing industry, unfoirtunately unlike the one i had to deal with

The house is hot, hot, hot and if luck stays on my side i will be changing my boiler out in the summer for a Ferroli Maxima 35c which looks like and from what i hear to be a great bit of kit that is capable of taking care of the heating and water reqs for my house
No doubt i will be asking for some more input ref this boiler before i part with the cash

Happy Christmas :D

The house is hot, hot, hot and if luck stays on my side i will be changing my boiler out in the summer for a Ferroli Maxima 35c which looks like and from what i hear to be a great bit of kit that is capable of taking care of the heating and water reqs for my house
No doubt i will be asking for some more input ref this boiler before i part with the cash

:LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back