URGENT-Is the boiler flu too close.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a plumber so ignore my ignorance.

My neighbour has just had a boiler fitted, I think it might be done through a government scheme called warm front. The flu a small round pipe comes out of the bedroom wall on the top floor of her house. My house terraced is right next to her.

The distance from the flu to the edge of my bedroom window is under 80cm, since it has been on, something looking like steam is pouring out of it. This goes right across my bedroom window, if I leave the window open slightly a little bit comes into my room.

Firstly is it ok for them to install the flu in line with my window?
What is in the “steam” surely some of it is toxic?
How far should the flu be from the edge of my window?
Who can I contact to take it further in the council?

Sponsored Links
It must be 300mm (30cm) from a window unless specific boiler manufacturer states otherwise, it should not terminate over the boundary of the two properties. The "steam" is the fumes aka products of combustion from the boiler and is toxic although it will be very, very diluted as it passes your window. Complain to your neighbour and they may fit a plume management kit (dependant on boiler make and model) which will redirect the fumes away in another direction. They have not broken any rules or regs.

It must be 300mm (30cm) from a window unless specific boiler manufacturer states otherwise, it should not terminate over the boundary of the two properties. The "steam" is the fumes aka products of combustion from the boiler and is toxic although it will be very, very diluted as it passes your window. Complain to your neighbour and they may fit a plume management kit (dependant on boiler make and model) which will redirect the fumes away in another direction. They have not broken any rules or regs.

Thanks for for the info.

Even though they have fittetd the flu midway in terms of the height of my window. Is 30cm the only rule, shouldn't the flu be fitted in line with the top level of the window.

Is there nothing they can add to make the fumes go over the roof, as it is less then a meter from the roof?

yes there is something they can do jingo, re read dangers post about the "plume management kit"

Sponsored Links
the 30cm rule is if the flue is level with or below the window, as the fumes are hot they will rise (and if closer than 30cm could enter the window, someone mst have worked out that after mixing with 30m of outside air they will be suitably diluted) if the flue is above the level of the window i think it can be closer than 30cm, if the boiler is fitted under warmfront deal you have no chance of getting the installer to fit a plume kit, the job will be closed down and therefore no extra grant money can be issued to that address so if the boiler complies with current regs the installer does not need to alter anything FOC

the 30cm rule is if the flue is level with or below the window, as the fumes are hot they will rise (and if closer than 30cm could enter the window, someone mst have worked out that after mixing with 30m of outside air they will be suitably diluted) if the flue is above the level of the window i think it can be closer than 30cm, if the boiler is fitted under warmfront deal you have no chance of getting the installer to fit a plume kit, the job will be closed down and therefore no extra grant money can be issued to that address so if the boiler complies with current regs the installer does not need to alter anything FOC

On average how much do one of these kits cost, I might consider paying for it myself, just a really rough estimate. Would I be right in thinking the kit simply extends the length of the pipe.

ok i deal with worcester boilers and in the installation manual it states...
discharge and any noise from the flue outlet must not cause a nuisance.
first thing to do is to take a photo out side when there boiler is at maximun fire,ie maximun plume,during day and night.do this now in the frosty weather dont wait for the summer.keep this for your records.
i am sure you will get a few replies here.

ok i deal with worcester boilers and in the installation manual it states...
discharge and any noise from the flue outlet must not cause a nuisance.
first thing to do is to take a photo out side when there boiler is at maximun fire,ie maximun plume,during day and night.do this now in the frosty weather dont wait for the summer.keep this for your records.
i am sure you will get a few replies here.

Thanks for the advice Jameshayes, will do, I thought there would be some rule, but it appears that this is just asking the fitter to be considerate, which they clearly haven't. Will get the photos and video now, do you think there is any chance of getting the council involved.

first thing to do is to close that window and seal the edges with tape.
second,talk to your neighbour if you can but always keep neighbour informed.keep records.ask neighbour the name of there boiler or
post a photo of the flue a clear one so we can identify boiler and see if a plume managent kit will be available.tell your neighbour you are going to buy a carbon monoxide dector to monitor your premises.
sorry i am not getting into the legal side here but check corgis web site.
www.trustcorgi.com click consumers. see faq;s number 9.
is your neighbour a home owner or a tenant.
plenty of engineers here with legal experience here,they are out working now so lool back later this evening.

your welcome.

Thanks again James

I am attaching a photo it is taken from my window the pebble dash is the start of my house, and you can also see the start of my window frame (right side of photo).

I am not sure if you can zoom in on the photo through this forum

It has also just occured to me why it has been put at this height the guy simply stood on the flat roof and this was his height so drilled it at that height, rather then use an additional ladder to move it higher!!

Thanks again James

I am attaching a photo it is taken from my window the pebble dash is the start of my house, and you can also see the start of my window frame (right side of photo).

I am not sure if you can zoom in on the photo through this forum

It has also just occured to me why it has been put at this height the guy simply stood on the flat roof and this was his height so drilled it at that height, rather then use an additional ladder to move it higher!!

that flue is directional, you can twist it away from your property quite easily by hand. ;)

[that flue is directional, you can twist it away from your property quite easily by hand. ;)[/quote]

I don't think that will do it if the wind is blowing in my direction, far better that it goes over the roof.

good photo.
looks like an ideal boiler,i have checked the manufactures instructions for the most recent boilers.ie isar.icos and esprit.

in the flueing section ideal state.
IMPORTANT it is absolutely essentail to ensure in practice that products of combustion discharging from the terminal cannot re enter the building or any other adjacent buildings through ventilators,windows,doors or other sources of natural air filtration or forced ventilation/air conditioning.
if this occurs the appliance MUST be turned OFF and labelled as 'unsafe' until corrective actions can be made.

well thats what they state,although they print many dimensions in the manufactures instructions every installation is different your neighbour has an additional flue diffuser fitted and they (ideal the boiler manufacture)cover themselves by the above statement.
personally if i was doing this install i would chose a vertical flue kit which terminates above the roof line.try and take a photo of the plume (steam) entering your window,this will happen more at windy times ets.

good photo.

your neighbour has an additional flue diffuser fitted and they cover themselves by the above statement.

Does this mean that I can't take it further?

Also you mention a vertical kit, do you know how much it would be so I can either pay for it myself or ask the neighbour to mention it to the fitter, if he returns.

thanks again for your help/advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back