Neigbours Noisy Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour had a gas boiler installed last year in her spare bedroom which is next to my bedroom. All I can hear through the wall of a night when I go to bed is a buzzing noise in the background which doesn't appear to stop until 11.30 pm (must be when the heating goes off) and it returns again every monring at 5.45 am which wakes me up.

I already had the flue checked out last year as the people who installed it for her made a right mess of the wall and the flue comes out next to my bedroom window and is tilted at an angle so the vapors/steam is directed at our house and not her own but it is just within the 300mm distance of our house to get away with it being in that position.

Firstly, are you allowed to put a gas boiler on a party wall in a bedroom?
Secondly, is the flue allowed to point in the directon of my bedroom window? (last summer it was difficult to have the window open as the breeze knocked the steam back towards the open window.

I am not sure if the boiler has been installed on the Party or not but there was a lot of drilling going on at the time which sounded like they were drilling deep into the wall.

Sponsored Links
Yes it can be fitted on a party wall. Dont know of any boilers that always buzz! Sounds like a faulty relay,solenoid or fan etc. Could you politley tell her that she ought to get it checked by manufacturers under warranty?

Can't quite picture the flue termination. A fan flue should be at least 300mm from any opening on a wall as you look at it from in front of it. It should be much further away if it is pointing at your window. A flue is not allowed to discharge across a neigbours boundary. It should be at least 600mm from a surface opposite it.

problem nowadays with condensing boilers is that you can comply with all regs but still get a nuisance factor of the pluming from the flue. An installer should always install to regs and take into account nuisance to the neighbours etc

Stilol your experience highlights how ignorant it is to put a boiler in a bedroom, yet we get questions on here avery week about puting a boiler in a bedroom.

They belong in the kitchen bathroom utility room outhouse and as a last straw but with added extra expense to do it properly, loft. But you'd better be fit because you'll be hiking upo to the loft on a regular basis.

In your case, they have don't nothing wrong, you could kick up a fuss about the flue again if the plume goes over your boundary but it is not a strong case you have.

If it were me I would sleep somewhere else. I certainly wouldn't like it, and would have great difficulty sleeping properly.

Paul Barker said:
Stilol your experience highlights how ignorant it is to put a boiler in a bedroom, yet we get questions on here avery week about puting a boiler in a bedroom.

Agreed - however it is not suprising it happens. If I replace our boiler I can't put a condensing boiler in the same location (flue facing boundary) and I can't get an exception as the bedrooms are allowable alternative locations (this may be impractical from noise and disruption/fitting viewpoint, but the exception rules don't seem to take much account of that).

Sponsored Links
stevesey, you could always fit a boiler with a variable flue terminal to direct the pluming away. Vaillant & Glow Worm make these as no doubt do more manufacturers as market demands more siting flexibility

stevesey said:
If I replace our boiler I can't put a condensing boiler in the same location (flue facing boundary)

Can you use a band A boiler which has a plume diversion option?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back