URGENT-Is the boiler flu too close.

Unfortunatly trundles it is mis-leading infomation like what you appear to have supplied above that creates the problems made from the OP.

Had he not have had a window there this installation would have been signed off as all well and good even though the window belonging to the neighbour to the left of the flue is far closer.

I must admit i don't agree with pointing the plume across the boundary which has now probably made it closer than 300mm but 800mm is far enough away from the window IMO to be considered reasonable.

Had this boiler been fitted for the OP and 800mm away from his own window i'm sure the benefit of a new boiler in what i can only presume is a convienient and agreed position internally, would have outweighed a slight inconvienience of having to keep the window closed a little more in the winter or maybe the odd puff of steam floating by in the summer when a hot tap is run.

It would appear that the OP has taken all of the negative 'evidence' (including some fiction) from this post whilst dis-regarding most of the sensible fact's in order to kick up stink when the installer/inspection takes place.

I hope there is an easy outcome for both the installer and OP to be honest.

Sam

Sponsored Links
1) Loads of course will have slipped through a recall, especially in the private sector where people do not have their boilers serviced.

2) I'm just relaying exactly what a senior Corgi employee announced to our management and employees at our firm, backed up by a following Email

3) So presumably large CO readings are now caused by wear and tear not people mucking about with gas valves as previously mentioned, thanks I already knew that, which is exactly my point if there is any re-entry.

4) The whole point of the pluming now being visible because of water vapour is that people can now exactly see where boiler fumes are heading wheras before this was not visible although quite clearly it did and does happen. I have had numerous complaints over the years regarding existing boiler terminals and subsequent fumey smells in bedrooms and other rooms either next door or in adjoining properties.

Which is why I never just take the manufacturers siting requirements as rigid and apply my own judgement in addition to their minimums to ensure that there are no problems afterwards.

On the one hand you are being very blase in mentioning that boiler outlet fumes are almost pure enough to shove in a divers oxygen tank and the next minute confirming my point that gas valves do go wrong due to wear and tear thus causing a massive rise in CO.

I think that perhaps the most telling question raised by the original poster is ....Would you be happy if it was your house and your neighbours newly installed boiler terminal was allowing pluming across your windows and possibly into your rooms?

I strongly suspect that the answers here might change somewhat if it was your houses affected!

No the corgi website says the prOblems hae been caused by wrongly adjusted gas valves which i said i then agreed that wear and tear will cause readings to alter which you have found.

WHY are you not reading the press release that is on the corgi website.

Around what date is this email meant to have been sent/

And how would a diver survive on CO2 AND H20 when we all know we need OXYGEN bit of a silly comment.

If the problem really is like you say, due to boiler's knocking themselves out of the correct ratio i suggest you forward a copy of this secret email directly to the HSE for them to follow up. This should then be addressed with the manufacturers themselves as a serious issue.

I would like to here the opinion's of other service engineers to see if this is as widespread as you are suggesting.

Sam

Sponsored Links
In my experience 90% of the boilers I come accross have the correct co2 or are very, very close to it and only require a minor tweak.

Anyway, back to the original question.
The following two statements are from the Ideal installation insructions.
"FLUE INSTALLATION Pluming will occur at the terminal so terminal positions which would cause a nuisance should be avoided.
The flue must be installed in accordance with the
recommendations of BS.5440-1:2000. In IE refer to I.S.813:2002.
The following notes are intended for general guidance."
and
"IMPORTANT.It is absolutely ESSENTIAL to ensure, in practice, that products of combustion discharging from the terminal cannot re-enter the
building or any other adjacent building through ventilators,
windows, doors, other sources of natural air infiltration, or forced
ventilation / air conditioning."
As I said earlier get your neighbour to ring Warm and a plume kit will be fitted.

I just lost a lengthy post on this matter and can't be bothered to type it all out again so will just summarise.

1) The fact that our Area Corgi manager came out his statement is not in dispute as far as I am concerned, I was there you weren't.

2) The suggestion that I might come out with such a statement if it had not been made, out of sheer devilment, is both insulting and ludicrous especially so when the Corgi guys comments were witnessed by our entire management team and the heating manager of the large council that we contract too.

3) The accuracy of the factual statement made by the Corgi guy made can be challenged by you if you wish to I have no problem with that.

4) I have never accessed the Corgi site and have no intention of ever doing so I did not realise that it was compulsory, I will however contact said Corgi representative and ask him to confirm his statement or request an explanation as to why he would misrepresent the facts.

And finally I believe that Heatingmans contribution above fully vindicates both my personal and professional opinion on this matter.

Trundle tricks i Find it very strange that you will not spend 30 seconds it will take to access the corgi site but will spend more time telling us stuff that cant be backed up.
Why would this be. Are you not registered and not allowed into the member site
your comments or that of your supposed corgi area manager sound an absolute pile of sh#te. If someone quizzed me i would be giving times and dates to prove i was right and also be spending 30 seconds on corgi site

WHY ARE YOU NOT

Trundle. As most on here will realise i love a discussion. And will argue my point and will put evidence to prove it as i have done in this discussion you on the otherhand are telling lies wont look at official sites and to be basic are talking sh#te.
Prove me wrong i will hold my hands up if you can.

I await

I see.

So lets get this straight

So far just because I agree with the original posters concerns (which it turns out are backed up by the details in Heatingmans post)

You allege that

a) I am not Corgi registered
b) Am a liar
c) Talking s*te

Not the greatest debater in the World are you, I would possibly counter your observations by pointing out that.

a) I am a an ex British Gas trained engineer having successfully completed a 4 year City and Guilds apprenticeship, have 33 years experience within the industry, am responsible for about 60 engineers whose activities are closely monitored under a quality control programme run by Corgi services on an ongoing monthly basis. i have been Corgi registered in my own right for about 16 years now

b) Do I feel obliged to provide evidence of this to anyone on a DIY internet board? Errr NO

c) As already stated I will contact said Corgi inspector early next week in order that he nay verify his previous statement (I'm assuming that he won't want his Sunday evening disrupted on your behalf)

d) Idon't feel obliged to access the Corgi website just because you insist I must

One really must wonder why you are so insistant that I must be making up the comments of the Corgi guy, as already mentioned you look a little foolish insisting that a discussion at which you were not present couldn't have happened and thus I must be a liar.

You are of course fully entitled to dispute the Corgi inspectors allegations which may or may not be true, but of course that is another issue.

You may feel able to bully others on here but I'm afraid that won't work with myself!

Trundle, whilst I am not disputing what you say about yourself, there are a couple of points I find rather strange.

You say that you hold a responsible supervisory position in a large firm. Yet you choose to hide your real identity. Why?

Stranger still, you say that you are CORGI registered but you have NEVER visited their website and dont want to. Thats very odd indeed.

Whilst you post quite a lot on here, you dont seem to be registered for the Combustion Chamber part of this forum for CORGI registered people.

Why dont you give your real name and explain away some of these anomalies?

Tony Glazier

Trundle you mentioned earlier corgi spoke to our management now you say you are that management with 60 guys for a 20000 contract seems like massive overkill works out at roughly 1 service a day each so thats a lot of extra work to find.
4 YEAR BG apprenticeship why what year did you fail as it was only a 3 year apprenticeship back then you would have been the last of the gas fitter apprentices just as it changed to gas service engineer apprenticeship who started in summer of 76.

If you class asking for proof of a statement that could affect peoples lives as bullying then im guilty but still find it very strange that you wont look at corgi site or have you and dont want to admit it proves you wrong

Just who exactly do you two jokers think you are?

1) Agile /Tony Glazier I've registered on this forum under a pseudonym just like everybody else appears to have done as is usual on these forums, I have no problem registering under my own name but would wonder why you've decided that this is now the procedure when it doesn't appear to be for anyone else.

Just who exactly do you think you are are questioning my qualifications/registration just because I haven't joined your little secret society in the combustion chamber, are you some sort of control freak or something?

2) Namsag whilst I'm sure that you are quite absorbed in what you seem to see as a poor impersonation of Sherlock Holmes just because your judgement has been made to look a little foolish by backing the siting of a flue terminal that appears to be contrary to the manufacturers instructions as per Heatingmans provided manufacturers details it's a touch unbecoming to lash out at others because they held a different view that was subsequently proved correct.

I would also add that I feel a little sad that there are people in the industry such as yourself who felt it acceptable that the guy who started this thread had to put up with his neighbours boilers fumes blowing into his property.

3) Not that it's really any of your business, but nowhere have I said that my firms business consists soley of servicing boilers, and quite frankly who exactly do you think you are? even going to the extent of working out a rough ratio of services to engineers in a sad attempt to make a totally spurious point. You seem to assume an awful lot for someone that seems to know very little.

4) I have no idea who you two characters are, no idea if you are Corgi registered yourselves ( or anybody else on here for that matter) and have no desire for seeing evidence from you that you are!

I also would have no idea how you would prove to me or others that you are or not anyway, and likewise would question once again who the hell you think you are demanding the same of me and exactly how I would prove the same on a public forum anyway even if I wished too!

As you appear to be the demanding big shots on here insisting that everybody acts exactly as you feel that they should. How about demonstrating your committment and conviction that I must be some spurious joker who despite being proved right both morally and legally on this flue subject is not Corgi rgistered?

In view of your insistance that that I cannot possibly be Corgi registered how about backing up your ludicrous insistance by a £1,000 wager that I can or cannot provide my Corgi registration certificate or confirmation from Corgi HQ of my registration (I would of course require seeing yours as well)

Presumably then you can demonstrate to all reading this exactly how clever that you have been and would presumably have enough for a little holiday to bask in your glory to boot!

Or alternatively look a little foolish in front of everyone on this forum for your ridiculous and foolish assumptions and claims.

Now I suggest that you put up or shut up I see that there is a messaging facility on this forum so that we can sort this out, relieve namsag of some cash and credibility and maybe cure you two of your bullying traits in front of the other contributors to this board.

If you wish to contact me through private Email or telephone so that I may be able to put my disgust at your behaviour over a little more forcibly than decorum dictates on here I am quite happy to provide those details also.

1) Agile /Tony Glazier I've registered on this forum under a pseudonym just like everybody else appears to have done as is usual on these forums, I have no problem registering under my own name but would wonder why you've decided that this is now the procedure when it doesn't appear to be for anyone else.

Its not the forum name thats relevant, its your name. You will note that I give my own name at the end of posts. Most of the people who post on here are real people and we meet at exhibitions and ARGI meetings. Namsag is a little odd in that respect as he also hides his identity though.

What seems odd to me is that as an RGI you positively avoid the CORGI web site and have not signed up to the combustion chamber. Thats not a secret society just a closed forum where RGIs can discuss matters, particularly gas safety, without fear of non registered misinterpreting or trying something they are not qualified for.

I think that you should tell us your name and CORGI number then no one will doubt your authenticity.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back