US MidTerms - Voter Suppression and Gerrymandering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder how long it will be before this comes across the Pond to ourselves. The current reduction of MPs to 600 and redrawing of constituency lines will benefit the Tory party.

Democracy and will of the people?

In the US it is on a different scale altogether.

Sponsored Links
Nick Clegg said recently re has realised its futile to campaign for PR in this country as the 2 main parties benefit from FPTP, why would they change.

I guess if constituencies are being altered to the benefit of the incumbent government, that wouldnt be enough to prevent a landslide getting the opposition in power, once in power they can alter the boundaries again to suit themselves.

This country has generally seen a swing from left to right every 2 or 3 elections, I cant see any boundary alterations making any impact on that. What is a shame is the situation that prevents a change from FPTP.

The UK has hit an alll time low in politics, a change to the voting system might shake things up.

Nick Clegg said recently re has realised its futile to campaign for PR in this country as the 2 main parties benefit from FPTP, why would they change.

I guess if constituencies are being altered to the benefit of the incumbent government, that wouldnt be enough to prevent a landslide getting the opposition in power, once in power they can alter the boundaries again to suit themselves.

This country has generally seen a swing from left to right every 2 or 3 elections, I cant see any boundary alterations making any impact on that. What is a shame is the situation that prevents a change from FPTP.

The UK has hit an alll time low in politics, a change to the voting system might shake things up.

We need Electoral reform. That I can agree with wholeheartedly.

Sponsored Links
What is a shame is the situation that prevents a change from FPTP.

Shake things up and install a democratic electoral system at the same time?

But as you surmise, the current system wouldn't allow that!

That the UK claims that it is a 'democracy' (given FPTP) is a complete joke!

Are you so sure about that?

Individual voter registration in the UK has disenfranchised hundreds of thousands!

Yes. The US is insane in it's voter suppression and the myth that you need ID to vote which we seem to want to mimic.

Sponsored Links
Back