Using fibreglass to seal a cistern.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks - on some of my other posts I've been getting help restoring an old wooden, lead-lined cistern.

While the lead looks OK, there are a few suspect patches so while its dismantled and on the bench I'm going to properly waterproof the tank with fibreglass.

Do i need fibreglass matting or can I just paint on the resin?

In either case, how many layers/coats would guarantee a watertight cistern?

I'm looking at eitherthis kit inc. matting

or just the resin alone.

Any tips on application would be great.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Resin on its own will crack. The best option would be to weld up the cracks, lead is quite waterproof on its own....

To make it water tight, you will need to use the chopped strand mat and resin, well compacted with a metal paddle roller to prevent air bubbles... Then once it is dry rub down the spikes off with sand paper and apply a flow coat to seal the fibres other wise the water can leach along the fibres.....

Sponsored Links
Hi folks - on some of my other posts I've been getting help restoring an old wooden, lead-lined cistern.

While the lead looks OK, there are a few suspect patches so while its dismantled and on the bench I'm going to properly waterproof the tank with fibreglass.

Do i need fibreglass matting or can I just paint on the resin?

In either case, how many layers/coats would guarantee a watertight cistern?

I'm looking at eitherthis kit inc. matting

or just the resin alone.

Any tips on application would be great.

OMG!!! You're not going to re-line it with Lead??!!
GRP is pure sacrilege, pity you don't live near Glasgow or I'd lead burn a new liner for you.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back