Using the drain off valve as supply for plants watering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My water supply enters the house by the front door. Immediately above the water meter is a brass drain off valve.
I want to install a timer activated auto irrigation system for the three large potted plants on my frontage, so they do not dry out while we are away.
Obviously I could connect this up to my back garden tap, but that would mean running metres of piping through doors and window frames etc. whereas the front door is literaly just feet away from the pots.
The worry is that any malfunction with the timer or piping could cause a problem.

I would like to ask
a) whether using the drain off valve as a supply outlet is legit and safe?
b) whether you could recommend a flow check-type device that would shut down the mains supply if an abnormal demand was detected
c) what type of connector would be best? the drain off valve appears to have a straight exit pipe i.e. with no grooves for tubing attachment.

Sponsored Links
Here's a clue to where the drain off is located.
Immediately above the water meter is a brass drain off valve.

[ :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Using a drain off wont comply with water byelaws, an outside tap should have a double check valve in the supply. Would it not be easier to ask a neighbour or friend to water the plants?

Ah, yes. My common sense should have told me that no-one would go to the trouble of rigging up an irrigation system and running the risk of possibly flooding the house when the neighbours would water plants! :LOL:

Salads are what healthy people eat and those who dont wish to have MOOBS :D

As a part of healthy life style :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I like my moobs, I've become attached to them. Well, I AM attached to them.

The bl00dy medicos say I need to loose 6 stone.
I'm 6'4". I've not been anywhere near 12 stone since I was 13 FFS!

I'll have to try some of those salads. What do they look like? Can I get them on prescription?

you would be better cutting into the mains supply and fitting a solenoid valve with a timer similar to what is used in pub toilets etc,

or search irrigation valves, they are loads of gadgets on the market and a lot don't require as much work and are more accurate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back