Utility room with plastic roof questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey have a new house, got a small utility room with a Twinwall Polycarbonate Sheet roof on it. Now while it lets in tonnes of much needed light, its

Loud as hell in the rain/any bad weather
Cold
Has a huge amount of condensation on it
Loud as hell.

Now my budget for jobs like this is pretty tight at the moment due to me needing to re-plum and re-wire the house.

I had thought, I could get some more sheets of the roofing and fit them to the underside/lowwer portion of the joists which would leave a gap between the current ceiling and a new false one of about 3 or 4 inch, so there would be an air gap to keep a little more heat in, hopefully drown out the sound a bit and means the condensation would at least drip off or run down wall, rather than run down to the ends of the wooden joists and keep rotting them

Sponsored Links
I suppose I should have asked my question lol, sitting here wandering why I have no replyes

Can any one see a problem with me doing this? And is it likely to have much effect?

Cheers
Sgm

Adding another layer of roof sheets will obscure more light but will not eradicate condensation, which will inevitably fall onto the rafters as well as the new sheets.

Adding a layer of celotex and robustly sealing all joints will eradicate all condensation whilst also blotting out ALL the light.

It's a trade off.

You need glass but at about £100 per sheet it's a bit pricey.

Sponsored Links
If it's the crappy 10mm stuff then you could upgrade to the 5 layer 25mm sheets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back