vaillant eco tec plus 824 leaking overflow / losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anybody please help. We have a vaillant eco tec plus 824 boiler. The first thing we noticed was that we were not getting any heat from the radiators. Checked the pressure on the boilers guage and it was at zero. I used the 2 grey taps underneath to refill and the guage went back up to about halfway on the grey. Heating now back on. after a couple of weeks we had to start doing this every morning to get the heat back on. we called a plumber out and he just put on a bycycle pump and done a bit of this and that and it worked fine for a few months. The problem we have now is we have to turn the 2 grey taps at least twice a day and we also lose the hot water too until the grey taps have been turned to refill. the overflow pipe is also leaking and could fill a pint glass in an hr. The boiler is about 6 yrs old. please help

Sponsored Links
Ask your heating engineer to replace the pressure release valve (PRV) for you and all should be well.
The bike pump would have been used to repressurise the expansion vessel (EV) which is a good move when the water pressure is at zero.
John :)

could also be a leak from the system.
or as burnerman said prv may need replacing go out side pressure the boiler and see if the copper pipe outside is leaking

thanks for a fast reply.. i will do a few phone calls tomorrow. and let you know how i get on..btw what would the average cost of supply and fit be

Sponsored Links
could also be a leak from the system.
or as burnerman said prv may need replacing go out side pressure the boiler and see if the copper pipe outside is leaking

sorry i didnt see your reply. We live in a 3 storey flat and the pipe out side protrudes from the wall. I have no idea where the pipes are outside unless you refer to the outlet pipe and if so yes it is leaking when the boiler is presurised

Bike pump :eek: get an engineer not a plumber,
If pressure is zero it's a good idea to put a bike pump on! Ffs!!
Get it properly serviced u need to drain boiler to repressure expansion vessel properly and clean the prv no need to change it

Whats wrong with a bike pump?

I have a nice little one which I can take with me on the tube.

Tony

Its a 'T' type about 200 mm high and weighs about 0.5 kg.

Cost about £4 at Lidl so I bought two!

Surely what's important is why the expansion vessel lost its pressure in the first place and will it do it again?

Any observations?

They lose pressure naturally over time an need checking an repressuring if necessary every yearly service

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back