Vaillant Ecomax 828/2E Problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Chaps....

First post, would appreciate your advice please. Pressure loss noted of recent. At the moment when stone cold the gauge is reading is 0.8 Bar when running reading is 2.8 Bar. Following research a check of the Expansion Vessel charge pressure seemed prudent ?.

Consulted M.I. which advises closing flow and return service valves and draining boiler, going on to further explain how to check the vessel.

To my knowledge the service valves have not been touched for seven years and I am worried that disturbing them may cause a leak (more knowledge gained from the internet !).

Would it be viable to drop the pressure to 0 Bar by draining from a radiator. In order to pressure test the Vessel, or do I need to drain the whole system ?. Never done this before so a little aprehensive. Appreciate your thoughts chaps......Many thanks and Regards...Jim.

Sponsored Links
You should be OK to use the boiler's isolation valves underneath it where the flow and return pipes enter the boiler. You turn them a quarter turn with a screwdriver for off. There is a small drain off outlet on each of the valves and a small square valve head to open it next to the outlet. Use a small spanner or adjustable. Shouldn't take much more than 5 or 10 mins to drain the boiler, then you can test the ex. vessel.

Best to also bleed the pump after refilling the boiler.

Your right the older drain valves can leak, drain from a rad bleed valve to loose pressure, it won't take long and if you turn both rad valves off first then open bleed nipple the flow will quickly stop, then you can remove bleed nipple completely and placing a 1 gallon container which should be more than enough, by the open bleed you can start to open the valve on the same end as the bleed and control turning flow on and off with the valve. At zero the use the pump to pressurise the vessel to about 3/4bar. before you start open the expansion vessel valve cap and if no water comes out when you release the valve spring pin you can safely re pressurise. If water comjes out of valve a new expansion vessel is needed. or an external one can be fitted, or a rad of reasonable size can have 2/3 of its water removed and the air in rad will act as an expansion vessel. Also don't drain from the pressure release valve that can start to leak afterwards.

Many thanks indeed for the prompt replys Chaps. I have a drain cock on the downstairs radiators. Could i use that to loose some pressure ?....Kind Regards...Jim.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back