Vaillant Ecotec F.24 - and p0-p6 not there - only p.1 &

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant Ecotec boiler which has, by and large worked well for a couple of years.

After it was off during house renovation a couple of years ago, I kept having various problems (including F.24) which were finally solved when someone wonderful told me to run something called P.0 as it would bleed air from the boiler that I couldn't get from the radiators.

Seemed odd but I followed his instructions and after many shunting and grunting noises from the boiler, it fired up and - until recently - has behaved faultlessly.

It has started bringing up F.24 errors again and although I have bled the radiators (TINY amount of air from ONE rad only), the unit keeps tripping. Sometimes will run for a couple of days, sometimes only 30 minutes.

I don't know if this is a coincidence, but it USUALLY seems to fail in the morning and not in the evening. Cannot see any logic - but seems to be a fairly strong bias to "morning F.24" as opposed to a problem afternoon / evening.

I have tried the get P.0 running again - it worked last time perhaps it will again was the logic - and I can only get the system to offer me p.1 and p.2 - the other ones (p.0 and p.6 in particular) seem not to be there.

I am obviously doing something wrong as it worked when I tried it once before. I am pressing the + button and turning on the power - but then I have P.1 or P.2 - no access to P.0.

What am I not doing now that I got right before please.

I have checked memory for faults and other than F.24 it did once have a F.1 error - but I cleaned the connectors on the NTC themistors and it hasn't done that since, so hopefully that was just an oxidised contact (was a bit grotty).

Pump SEEMS to be in good shape - runs quietly and sprays water out of rad with enthusiasm - and also when it is not tripping out, the hot water circulates quickly (left in high mode) and the unit works very well indeed.

So I guess I am asking two things please:-

1. What am I doing wrong to only get P.1 and P.2 instead of P.0 - P.6

2. Other than P.0 is there anything else which might help sort this intermittent fault please?

Regards

Mark

Sponsored Links
Is your Ecotec a combi or a system boiler? F24 is either a duff ntc (F1 return ntc fault).

The missing P codes is a puzzle though :?: Possible PCB :?:

Have you tried a factory reset?

Here is how to do it: access D codes + & -, go to D97 press i and change to 17, press and hold i 'till screen changes, go to D96 press i and change to 1, press and hold i 'till screen changes. Are P codes back?

poor circulation will throw up ntc faults on all vaillants/glowworms, i suspect thats the issue, ntcs are bullet proof.

Sponsored Links
Thank you folks.

I will try the system reset as mentioned.

I don't mind changing the pump out if circulation is the problem - but last time, once I had managed to P.0 it, it worked a treat.

It might be time to get some of this "X800" I keep hearing about in while it is still circulating and see if I can flush some grotty stuff out. Water seems clear and cleanish at the rads but it probably wouldn't hurt.

I will do the system reset and let you know if the missing codes come back!

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back