Vaillant EcoTEC plus 937

Sponsored Links
A bit like a fridge on the wall!

We park 3 bikes under ours in the garage below the house.

Sponsored Links
here's photos of one being installed

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/boiler-a-half-t2428.html[/QUOTE]

Where is that located?
It is a beast and I think the 837 will do just fine for us.

i dont know where that one is located but mine is in the loft.

If you have the room for it and want the hotwater performance then choose the 937, or else the 837 will do.
Yes it should be but speaking with a local plumber today he slightly put the wind up. Saying with a bigger house we would be best to go for a sealed system and a Vaillant 630 and hot water tank. I shall need to consider as we have 13 rads but one bathroom and maybe a shower unit to be added later. No more baths/ensuite.

... saying with a bigger house we would be best to go for a sealed system and a Vaillant 630 and hot water tank. I shall need to consider as we have 13 rads but one bathroom and maybe a shower unit to be added later. No more baths/ensuite.
Although the size of a combi is determined by the hot water performance, the heating requirement is just as important. The 937 can only modulate down to 12kW - below that it goes into on-off mode. 13 radiators does not seem all that large - I have that and it is fed from a 14kW non-condensing regular boiler.

Use the Sedbuk Boiler Calculator to find out how big a boiler is required just for heating - the result includes 2kW for hot water, so that should be deducted from the total. You should also use the Stelrad Elite Catalogue to estimate the output of your existing radiators, to make sure they are large enough - larger is better than smaller.

The calculated boiler kW needs to be well above 12kW or the 937 will spend most of its time in on-off mode.

All Broag boilers modulate down to 6kW, so they may be more suitable.

A combi boiler will not run two bathrooms at the same time. Combis are should be used when space is at a premium. If you have a loft put a boiler cylinder and tank up there and possibly a pump if you like decent showers. Some one will also suggest and unvented horizontal cylinder which are ok if you want to pay for a £150 service charge every year.

A combi boiler will not run two bathrooms at the same time. Combis are should be used when space is at a premium. If you have a loft put a boiler cylinder and tank up there and possibly a pump if you like decent showers. Some one will also suggest and unvented horizontal cylinder which are ok if you want to pay for a £150 service charge every year.

We are used to a combi now and would not need it to run two items at same time. Space is not at a premium so we wonder if its still ok to have one in a larger dwelling place? We have a sealed system there at present with hot water tank etc. We would only need up to the EcoTECH 837 combi if we took that option or the Vaillant 630 system boiler if we went that way. Its a 'hard water' area.

We would only need up to the EcoTECH 837 combi if we took that option or the Vaillant 630 system boiler if we went that way.
What makes you think you need such a large boiler? Is your house enormous?

As I have said earlier, check out what size boiler you really need for heating using the Sedbuk Boiler Calculator. I would be very surprised if you need a system boiler larger than a EcoTEC plus 618.

The 837 suffers from the same problem as the 937 - it can only modulate down to 12kW, which may not be low enough for your house.

We would only need up to the EcoTECH 837 combi if we took that option or the Vaillant 630 system boiler if we went that way.
What makes you think you need such a large boiler? Is your house enormous?

As I have said earlier, check out what size boiler you really need for heating using the Sedbuk Boiler Calculator. I would be very surprised if you need a system boiler larger than a EcoTEC plus 618.

The 837 suffers from the same problem as the 937 - it can only modulate down to 12kW, which may not be low enough for your house.

You may well be correct but isnt the one down from the 837 the EcoTECH plus 831? This goes down to 8.7kw (& up to 24kw). Would 12kw be too high a start point for an internal building space of 1631sq ft?

As I have said earlier, check out what size boiler you really need for heating using the Sedbuk Boiler Calculator.
You may well be correct but isnt the one down from the 837 the EcoTECH plus 831? This goes down to 8.7kw (& up to 24kw). Would 12kw be too high a start point for an internal building space of 1631sq ft?
Floor area is not enough to go on; there are other factors to consider! :eek:

Instead of speculating, why not use the Sedbuk calculator - then you will have an accurate answer. The heating requirement could be anything between 6kW and 20kW, depending on windows, insulation, construction and location.

As I have said earlier, check out what size boiler you really need for heating using the Sedbuk Boiler Calculator.
Floor area is not enough to go on; there are other factors to consider! :eek:

Instead of speculating, why not use the Sedbuk calculator - then you will have an accurate answer. The heating requirement could be anything between 6kW and 20kW, depending on windows, insulation, construction and location.

Had a look at that calc item and it was asking for all sorts of measurements which I do not have, like windows etc. I have an open mind on the actual boiler model but do wish to go for a Vaillant. I started with idea of 937, then after coments thought 837 and then maybe 831. It will depend on the actual survey from the visiting engineer IF and WHEN we move in. BUT I do want plenty of capacity for growth and change, hence my idea to 'go large'. And I stick by that concept. But now I know that I have to consider the lower end performance too, so thanks for that learning.

Had a look at that calc item and it was asking for all sorts of measurements which I do not have, like windows etc.
The only measurements you have to input are: length, width, room height and number of floors. You do NOT have to work out the window area; it will be estimated for the type of house. The answer may not be 100% accurate; but it's better than guesswork.

The 831 does go lower, but is it low enough? In any case if you go for the 831 you will only get a hot water flow rate of 12.7 litres/min compared with 15.2 for the 837. This illustrates the problem with combi boilers - what is required for hot water may conflict with what is required for heating.

A system boiler may be a better choice as you only need to provide an additional 2kW (some say 3kW) on top of the heating requirement for hot water.

[/quote]
The only measurements you have to input are: length, width, room height and number of floors. You do NOT have to work out the window area; it will be estimated for the type of house. The answer may not be 100% accurate; but it's better than guesswork.
[/quote]

Nah, it asks for a whole lot more measurements than that.
It lost me on the question of - No. ext walls length-wise and then again width-wise??? Its a 4 sided house ! Tried again and came out need for just 10kw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back