Vaillant Turbomax 828e - Hot Water Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, been looking through your (very good) forums on this topic and I can't see one specific to this - bit of an odd one(?) - hoping you can help.

We have a Vaillant Turbomax 828e bolier - with the warmstart thingy. It was here when we moved in - we do have all the manuals.

Recently, after weeks of it playing up (more coming) I came home to find it would not fire up. The warmstart was flashing and it displayed S23 (I think - warmstart ignition).

This was a new problem and we called a plumber out.

The PCB board was replaced. This didn't seem to fix it.

I found a post on here (thank you!) that said to check the APS tubes - which he did and it seemed to fix it.

Now we have a new noise - a clicking noise I assume to be the diverter valve (which the plumber checked but did not replace). The boiler fires up fine and the heating works again.

But...

If the heating is on more than, say, 40, we struggle to get any hot water. This seems selective to different taps at different times. The water will go hot, then ice cold, then climb up but only reach comfortable levels - never hot enough to scald (sadly...)

I have turned the warmstart off but this doesn't seem to make any real difference.

If I turn the CH right down and reset the boiler the hot water seems to come back but, again, seems selective (luckily the shower seems to be the least affected).

For what it is worth I have put the bolier on Chimney Sweep mode and the hot water stills gets no higher than tepid. The CH works fine.

Thanks for listening! As I say, I have searched the forum and can't see anything that relates. Any help is appreciated. Moderators - please move this if necessary.

Thanks in advance,

George

Sponsored Links
You need to contact your plumber to check that he has correctly set the jumper on the new pcb to suit the gas valve fitted in your boiler (SIT or Honeywell). Also if you were getting S.23 status code on warmstart your plumber needs to check the operation of the air pressure switch. If it is the Krom Schroder type (black plastic), replace it. These APS's are very unreliable! :cry:

Cheers

You need to contact your plumber to check that he has correctly set the jumper on the new pcb to suit the gas valve fitted in your boiler (SIT or Honeywell). Also if you were getting S.23 status code on warmstart your plumber needs to check the operation of the air pressure switch. If it is the Krom Schroder type (black plastic), replace it. These APS's are very unreliable! :cry:

Cheers

Thanks for the swift reply. This has proved to be the best forum I've found.

When he came (nice bloke from family firm - only one to answer phone and came in own time three times in total) I bought the board. Are these things above I can buy and get him to fit them? What is reasonable on both parts and labour?

Also, at the risk of sounding like a scab, are these things I could do myself? If I have the manuals should I give it a go? Times are tight obviously... :D

Cheers

Thanks for the swift reply. This has proved to be the best forum I've found.

When he came (nice bloke from family firm - only one to answer phone and came in own time three times in total) I bought the board. Are these things above I can buy and get him to fit them? What is reasonable on both parts and labour?

Also, at the risk of sounding like a scab, are these things I could do myself? If I have the manuals should I give it a go? Times are tight obviously... :D

Sorry - just to be clear, I'm asking:

What specific parts would you recommend I buy now? If you can give rough prices that'd be great.

How difficult are they to fit?

Also, is

"...check that he has correctly set the jumper on the new pcb to suit the gas valve fitted in your boiler (SIT or Honeywell)."

something I could do through the diagnostics?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, but because the APS is a safety device, and the jumper setting on the pcb relates to the gas valve, then a Gas Safe engineer only can check/replace them.

I don't comment on pricing, as I'm not the one in front of the boiler... Its all ifs, buts, and maybes.

Can you not get the original plumber back (assume he was GS?). After all I guess you have paid him and its still not fixed... :eek:

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back