Vaillant Turbomax combi pilot light not lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a vaillant turbomax combi. The pilot light is refusing to turn on (there is a clicking sound but the pilot light indicator stays dark). The error pilot light indicator doesn't show this.

I've turned the boiler on and off a few times, sometimes the pilot light indicator flickers, but no joy. I got it working for about five minutes, hot water coming out of the taps, but then the water turned cold again and the pilot light indicator went dark.

Any suggestions or do I need to get an engineer in? I think the last time the boiler was looked at was in March 04, where a new diverter valve was fitted.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You have not given the number which clarifies the exact model.

As the last time you had anyone at the boiler was to repair it in 2004, you are not in the habit of having the boiler serviced and just wait for it to break down.

There is no pilot light on your boiler, it lights the gas when it needs to. Obviously the gas is not igniting and it needs a competent person to diagnose the problem and fix it as there are many possible causes of that problem.

I think that you will need to get someone in to repair it.

Regular proper servicing can reduce the inconvenience of breakdowns.

Tony

Do you get an error code of F28 by any chance? Sounds like gas valve to me.

Sponsored Links
many thanks for your help.

The guy has been, hes checked it and reserviced it and appart from one thing its in fine working order. Its a vaillant 242E, which I have to say, on the whole has been brilliant.

It had a diverter valve fitted about 3 years ago. The timer died a bit before that, but I didn't replace it as I'm rarely in and so turn the boiler on manually, which I did using the little 3 way switch above the timer led. He suggested i do this in future by turning that circular dial (hot water, hot water + ch, flame on) to hot water only.

What has been going wrong apparently is that one of the relays on the main circuit has gone. I can start up the hot water by turning on the hot tap now, which seems to kick it in. Hes gone to look at the cost of getting a replacement circuit board. He said that its not essential (but may forestall future problems) if I get the board replaced.

The boiler is about 10 or so years old, he reckons there is another 5 in it.
That sound about right?

(And now I will get it serviced every year! Ha, one lives and learns)
(And excuse the complete lack of boiler know how)
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back