vaillant TURBOmax VUW shuts down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a vaillant TURBOmax VUW 242e or a 282e (according to the
manual, can't find the model on the unit).

It has been wroking fine till this morning. When I switch the Hot
water on, or heating, it tries to ignite then it just shuts down and
trips the switch.

How can I fix it?

I moved into my house 6 months ago and has been working fine till this
morning. The previous onwer said he had few problems with it but after
changing something in it (I think he said a board) it was OK.

Any ideas what might be the cause of the problem & how much it would
cost to fix.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not enough to go on, could be all sorts of things.

The water pressure is where it should be.

All the lights seem to come on in the right sequence but all of the sudden it shuts down and trips the switch. All this takes about 1 or 2 seconds.

I switched the boiler for few hours but that didn't make a difference.

It makes all the right noises.
The pressure is at 1 on the guage (manual says it needs to be betwee 1 and 1.5)

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though it could be a flame rectification fault from how little info you have given us. Does the actual flame light for a couple of seconds before it locks out?

gas4you said:
Sounds as though it could be a flame rectification fault from how little info you have given us. Does the actual flame light for a couple of seconds before it locks out?

I checke the boiler again.
The "Fan operation indicator" comes on for 1 or 2 seconds then the "burner lock out indicator" comes on.

So the actual "flame indicator" does NOT come on at all. I don't know if this means the problem is at the Fan or Ignition stage.

Any ideas what might be the cause of the problem?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

mine sounds like it had a similar fault. does a fault code come up? mine was because the gas valve had gone.

tootsie123 said:
mine sounds like it had a similar fault. does a fault code come up? mine was because the gas valve had gone.

Thanks.

My boiler doesn't have and electronic dispaly (except the clock) so there's no fault codes.

Is the gas lever in line with the gas pipe?

Does it spark? - lift the white front panel up and off and look through the sight glass.

Tootsie this boiler doen't have fault codes.

Gasguru said:
Is the gas lever in line with the gas pipe?

Does it spark? - lift the white front panel up and off and look through the sight glass.

Tootsie this boiler doen't have fault codes.

Looked through the sight glass and tried to switch boiler on few times and I definatley haven't seen any spark at all.
Thanks.

I'm fairly sure you can hear the sparking on these if they get as far as trying to light. Hard to see for a diy though.

Does anyone think it's a Gas problem? The gas lever is inline with the pipe and my gas cooker is working fine.

Does anyone have any idea as to what is causing the problem?

If you can't see the electrodes sparking and the fan is operating then it is likely to be either the air pressure switch, gas valve or circuit boards. Time to call someone in methinks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back