vaillant TURBOmax VUW shuts down

i was told that if there is a fault with the gas valve the circuit board and cable will also need changing. it took 2 plumbers to work this out so maybe worth mentioning when you get someone in.

Sponsored Links
does the fan run?

does the pump run?

does the pump proving switch lift at the rear of the pump?

is the PPO pipe blocked?

normally if gas valve goes altogether on one of these babies the fused spur usually just eats the fuses

I just called an engineer. He initially thought it was the fan but later on he discovered it was the gas valve.

He said the part would cost anywhere between 80 or 180 pounds. He said if it was him he would replace the whole boiler as it's more than 10 years old.

Which is the cheapest way to fix\replace the gas valve?
Does any recommend non-genuine parts? Where can i get them from?

Thanks very much for your advice.

Paul_uk said:
I just called an engineer. He initially thought it was the fan but later on he discovered it was the gas valve.

He said the part would cost anywhere between 80 or 180 pounds. He said if it was him he would replace the whole boiler as it's more than 10 years old.

by calling him did this mean he came out and inspected the boiler?

Sponsored Links
timmy74 said:
Paul_uk said:

by calling him did this mean he came out and inspected the boiler?

Yes, he came out and inspected the boiler.
I'm short on cash at this moment, which is the cheapest way to fix it?

Thanks.

Hasn't got one has it?

is the PPO pipe blocked?
The WHAT?

There were 2 different pcbs and 2 different gas valves. Even if you have to change both it's alot cheaper than a new boiler and I'd expect it to go on for many more years yet. Things can go wrong but they aren't self-destruct boilers.

ChrisR said:
Hasn't got one has it?

is the PPO pipe blocked?
The WHAT?

There were 2 different pcbs and 2 different gas valves. Even if you have to change both it's alot cheaper than a new boiler and I'd expect it to go on for many more years yet. Things can go wrong but they aren't self-destruct boilers.

im assuming its the turbo max with the green switches 47-044-25 if me memory serves me right, these have a pump proving switch on top/behind the pump which lifts as the pump runs pushing water through a small copper tube (PPO pipe) to lift a diaphragm to make a microswitch

timmy74 said:
ChrisR said:
Hasn't got one has it?

is the PPO pipe blocked?
The WHAT?

(PPO pipe)

Stop calling it that.

Ive changed gas valves on the similar system boiler model but have known them to also fail on the combis.

Its pretty easy to diagnose and a very good boiler (better than VCW :) ) and im always replacing diverters (not cheap) on these as they are a good boiler!

Isn't this the one with the rather hidden o/h stat under the rubber cover on the flow pipe at bottom left?

Remember that one Chris?

Tony

Paul_uk said:
I have a vaillant TURBOmax VUW 242e or a 282e (according to the manual, can't find the model on the unit).

I find all these very confusing! Nor do I know what "PPO" stands for! Anyone have an idea?

When I repair a boiler I do so by looking at the unit and seeing how it works so I dont need MIs or anthing like that.

So his unit does not have that o/h stat then. In that case the cause will be reduced by that one item!

There are still many components which an experienced boiler engineer will quickly find on site. Via the internet with non qualified information that becomes much more difficult!

Tony

Agile said:
Paul_uk said:
I have a vaillant TURBOmax VUW 242e or a 282e (according to the manual, can't find the model on the unit).

I find all these very confusing! Nor do I know what "PPO" stands for! Anyone have an idea?
When I repair a boiler I do so by looking at the unit and seeing how it works so I dont need MIs or anthing like that.

So his unit does not have that o/h stat then. In that case the cause will be reduced by that one item!

There are still many components which an experienced boiler engineer will quickly find on site. Via the internet with non qualified information that becomes much more difficult!

Tony

PPO line/switch is what would come up whilst looking for the part on BG Druid system-laptop

Agile said:
Paul_uk said:

Tony

PPO line/switch is what would come up whilst looking for the part on BG Druid system-laptop

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back