Vaillant VCW GB 242E Tripping RCD

I cannot immediately recall the ignition on this model. I thought it was an on board circuit.

Most electronic spark generators charge a 0.1 uF capacitor to about 400v and discharge it through the primary using a spark gap on early models and an SCR on later ones.

Since the secondary circuit is solely between the chassis and the spark electrode, or between two balanced spark electrodes, there should be no earth leakage to the RCD.

Perhaps there has been a breakdown to the primary coil in your case.

Faults are fairly rare but they do occur.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
On this model:

between two balanced spark electrodes,

In this case:

a breakdown to the primary coil in your case.

Between neutral and earth (on primary circuit obviously, no earth on secondary circuit)

Have purchased and installed a new unit (incidentally correct terminology is ignition transformer, 40 ish quid retail, 30 ish with my trade discount) and all is working just fine. Which is just as well really, as corgi man neither showed or phoned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back