valiant boiler not igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I'm not too clued up on bolers or plumbing, I'm a joiner. I had made some alterations to my house which required moving some radiators, my boiler has been switched off for roughly 3 months. today I filled up the system again and after running round like a madman trying to fix all the leaks I finally got the pressure to stay up. all the rads have been bled and everything seems ok.

only problem is it now wont ignite. When i switch it on i can hear the igniter sparking for about 10 seconds before it shuts down withgout igniting. when i press the reset button it sparks for 10 seconds before shutting down again. I've tried now about 20 times with no joy

any ideas?

its a valiant VC GB 182 E H

Sponsored Links
Have you turned the gas back on? There's a little isolating valve on the middle pipe under the boiler. Otherwise it may be the gas valve sticking shut after being unused for so long. A gas engineer could check this for you.

Im sure all the other lads on here will sort you out soon..But i will just state the obvious, IS the gas turned on. :?:

Whereabouts in Glasgow?

Whil;e you might ave removed air from the radiators, boiler also needs to be purged. Thre could be other issues with boiler not having worked for several months. It is the water that makes this boiler work

Check your boiler again, you sure it is 182?

Sponsored Links
i'm actually in paisley....

i'm pretty sure its a 182. the sticker on the underside says VC GB 182 E H compact boiler cat 1N cat C1

yeah the gas is definetly on. had to double check tho :LOL: and the isolating valve on the middle pipe is open

how do i purge the boiler. I've not done that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back