Valliant Turbo Max Plus 824 Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice needed please.

I've not not in my flat long (just over a year) and boiler worked fine. My boiler stopped working recently and my boiler insurance company sent someone to look at it and he said that the flue system was completely wrong. He gave me warning notice which says the flue is defected (inlet air duct not to outside source). As I'd already switched it off, he also removed the fuse. Anyway I've since had a plumber round to see about getting it sorted which was advised, and they've quoted me just over £2k because they say that the boiler needs to be moved higher so they can drill though the wall to put a new flue through. The dodgy flue goes through the top window frame at the moment.

This seems really costly considering I was told that a new flue is the only thing needed. I'm also shocked that the property developer didn't check whoever put in the boiler as its only about 6-7 years old! I'm going to ring around for more quotes to see if I can get a better deal, but is that the sort of cost I'd be looking at?

Sorry message is abit lengthy, would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is really just a case of the same boiler being raised a foot or so and possibly a new flue fitted, then £2k is outrageous.

I would think that £500 would easily cover it :confused:

Hi Dave thanks for the quick reply, that's what I thought. I'll defiantly ring around.

This forum is a god send for me!

Ta

Alex

Bearing in mind that a new flue has to be purchased, then I would have thought that £600 inclusive would have been more appropriate if its in London.

Its difficult for me to imagine the layout of the boiler and window.

A picture might show more problems!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony,

Going by what what you and Dave have said, I think their asking way too much. If needed a new boiler and gas connection fair enough. But I'll do as you suggest Tony and will add a pictures tomorrow.

Alex

why raise the boiler?

surely short extension from top of boiler to new flue going out new corecut
hole?

That installation is outrageous and totally unsafe :eek:

I cannot believe this was fitted like this from new when the propery was built.

It needs riddoring and the **** who installed it reporting.

Flue needs chucking away and a new proper one fitting. Hopefully there is enough space above the window lintel to fit it through.

It will also depend on whats outside where the flue will terminate.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thats effing priceless. what a beauty. I'm sending it in to gas installer for a free prize :D
Only in London :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It needs a new flue, extension and elbow and maybe some other flue bits.

Perhaps about £100 worth.

The whole question is whats the distance from the ceiling to the underside of the window opening.

It really needs about 500 mm to do the job properly within the regulations.

Some may agree to do it if its a little less although it would not give the correct minimum spacing of 300 mm between the flue and top of the window opening.

As far as I can see there is NO need to raise the boiler as a short vertical section can be added.

Tony

Thanks for the help Tony, the property management company for my flat has asked one of the plumbers they use to pop round and have alook and I'll get a realistic quote. I'm sure the ones that came round thought I was some clueless woman who would ask around for advice.

I've also got in touch with the solicitor I used and I'm getting them to check through my file to see if theres a paper trail about the flat and who might have installed the boiler. Then I can take it from there.

So thanks all of you.

Alex ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back