Valspar paint used in kitchen....gone minging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
I painted our kitchen a year or so ago and used Valspar paint. we generate a fair bit of condensation through cooking and the walls get very wet to the point where we have trickle marks coming down the walls. It didnt help having water ingress from the upstairs window, so one section is really bad - its almost tacky to the touch. We do have windows open when possible and have an ExpelAir running along with the cooker hood etc but the walls are ruined. What are my options here? I'm a have a go DIYer so might get a decorator in to price the work up but wanted to get some pointers before I do.
Thanks!
Sam

Sponsored Links
You are going to have to wait for the water ingress section to dry out before you do anything else.

Further down the line, you can paint the walls with waterbased eggshell. Any serious cooking condensation will run down the wall rather than soaking in to the paint.

It does however sound like you need to increase airflow.

Cheers for the prompt response! so i should be able to paint directly over the current paint with the waterbased eggshell? The walls looks permanently marked by the water run off. A light sanding perhaps? Will get my expelair looked at - cheers again!

You need to sort out the condensation.
No amount of special paints will sort out the problem long term.
Air the house in the winter will help but a dehumidifier running for a few hours in the evening will sort it out.
We dry the washing with dehumidifier as well.
Very little to no condensation now and I've not noticed any cost increase in electricity. Plus or minus £10 per month on what I've always paid.

Sponsored Links
Sounds good Wayners - will invest in one for the kitchen

I do need to think long term in regards sorting out the state of the paint though - i'll get a dehumidifier and see if it helps, perhaps i dont need to repaint! Cheers for replying anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back