Valuted Celiing issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, Building my new extension, and i have a vaulted ceiling for the roof.

I am not 100% sure what to do with the lighting, i was thinking wall lights or a long pendent, top of the ceiling is about 4 meters, i was also thinking a bit of a false ceiling at the top to stop i looking like a cathedral inside.

Also the purlins, do i clad them or board over the top of them, have them as a feature.

I am not sure if treated timber can be considered a feature...

any thoughts would be appreciated or pictures for inspiration would good.

Cheers
A

Sponsored Links
Why on earth have you got both a vaulted ceiling AND a purlin?

Could the roof not have been designed without a purlin?

We always flatten out the bit at the very top even if it is only say 300mm or so. the most recent one was flattened out to about 450mm so that he could have a ceiling fan.

Did you not consider any of these issues before opting for a vaulted ceiling? Do you have a roof window (Velux) also?

Normally you specify better timber beforehand if they are to be exposed. Flat tops are common. Google vaulted ceilings for images of lighting.

Hi Nose all,

The run of the ceiling is about 4.5m, so purlins were unfortunately a must.

No Velux

To be honest didnt think about the lights or how much of a big space it would look.

I thought it would be nice to have such a big open space, however now that it is here it looks a bit to massive. I guess thats the difference from a sketch and reality.

I suppose a little bit of flatenning out would make things easier.

A

Sponsored Links
freedy - hindsight is wonderfull, however i am pretty much doing this on my tod, so learning a lot whilst i go.

Would cladding the timbers in something a bit nicer be an option have you ever seen it done?

goolged images already, a lot are for living rooms kitchens etc, however this is a bedroom, and celings are a lot higher.

They are alos ultra trendy, and i dont think quite inkeeping.

A

Vaulted ceiling in a bedroom!! :eek: The plot thickens.

Considered mirrors....?:cool:

A 4.5m rafter vaulted ceiling is rather an interesting project, what is the pitch?

Pitch is 18 degrees, smooth double roman with 100mm lap. just in on the tech spec.

its one of those planner ideas, subserviant 2 storey extension with ridge not higher than the original.

I thought if i cant have it at the same level at the front, then i will extend it back for a bit more space.

I would love a bit more loft space, but i thought a proper celing would leave a pathetic gap to crawl around in.

You could always clad them in decent timber, if done well it is hard to spot that they are not solid. Spots or wall lights if a bedroom or combination of, pendents. That's just me though. Get yourself on Sketchup and start modelling! ;)

Sketch up!!!, i had a go but nearly chucked the pc through the window, i just couldnt get the hang of it, i always seemed to end upside down and inside out....
Pen and paper for me.

i think i will look into cladding, krafty use of lost head nails, and some nice stain or oil

Amazingly i can even right computer code. I think there lines the problem, i hate using a mouse :p

i always preffered cats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back