Van versus trailer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok not so long ago i asked about best van for 8x4 boards but i wanted to keep size to a minimum for the sake of keeping running costs down.Any way another idea was to buy a trailer instead and keep present van.so far the idea looks promising as i am only towing it when i need to no mess in the van and looking on ebay the ifor william trailers in most cases get more than half of cost back even after 10 years.Only downside i can see at the moment is it will still leave me only 2 seats in present van.Is there any thing i am missing or obvious disadvantages.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Do what all intelligent people do and have the materials delivered to site.
Roof Rack?

Bet I have missed something from the first post I have not seen :oops:

If you get a trailer, make sure you keep it locked, Ifor Williams trailers seem to dissapear quite often, also make sure the one you buy isnt stolen.
I have a 10 x 5 trailer, its paid for itself over and over.

Sponsored Links
yes thats the trailer i am thinking of getting,did you bother with the mesh sides or did you just get the ramp thing at the back,i will buy new as the 2nd hand ones are not much cheaper

I didnt get mesh sides, as I wouldnt use them, only extras were ladder rack and ramps for mini digger.
The LM model is heavier duty, bigger wheels than the LT model.

I am looking at the Ifor P5.

Will ladders work with a Connect van and 5.5m ladder?

Goldspoon, do you mean GP 85, which is the general purpose trailer 8 x 5
This is the model with the wheels on the outside, as apposed to underneath.
If you mean to carry a 5m ladder on it, then yes you can, you would need the ladder frame, so as the ladder will clear your van roof.

I've tried various solutions over the years; 3.5 tonner Luton van, 3.5 tonne panel van, 1-tonne panel van, car-derived van with roof rack, car-derived van with tow bar and trailer, large estate car with tow bar and trailer, etc. Down to car derived van but with a roof rack these days. Big vans are horribly expensive to run, can't be parked in many car parks, are the devil's own to park in most city/town centres and they're slow. 1-tonne Transits aren't much better, maybe I should have tried out something like a Vito? Trailers work OK, but they are too easily stolen (been there, done that - they cut their way into my compound and had the trailer away at night). They also restrict your speed on motorways, etc (50 mph isn't it?), get blown about in crioss winds and make parking, manouvering into position awkward. As for estate cars, 'er indoors put paid to that by complaining that the car was always full of dust - in any case it left my tools rather vulnerable. These days I try to have everything large delivered to site if I can. Much easier

If you get a trailer, make sure you keep it locked, Ifor Williams trailers seem to dissapear quite often, also make sure the one you buy isnt stolen.
Cant vouch for that enough.
- Wheel lock, heavy chain to an eye, and weld your postcode into it somewhere!
- Another option is to paint it up in a bright colour and or livery. Or just slosh some white gloss on it without suitable primer, half will fall off and it will look 10 years old in 18months.

Max speed is 50 on single carriageways (down from 60) and 60 on motorways and dual carriageways (down from 70), same as a large van.

Daniel

If anyone passed their driving test after whatever year they changed the rules (1997 IIRC?) they can't tow a trailer of any weight without sitting a driving test for it at an HGV test centre. Trailers make the car about twice as long so are a pain to park. Speed limits are reduced (IIRC 60mph motorways, 50mph dual carriageways, can't remember single carriageways).

Any way you could use some form of glaziers side rack thing, on a mid sized van?

If anyone passed their driving test after whatever year they changed the rules (1997 IIRC?) they can't tow a trailer of any weight without sitting a driving test for it at an HGV test centre.
You can still tow a fair bit on a post 1997 test.
- Trailer up to 750kg with can car up to 3.5ton gross.
- Whole train up to 3.5ton, as long as the trailer does not exceed the curb weight of the car/van.
- Trailer does not exceed the max rated towing capacity of the car/van.
- It then changed again, very subtly, in 2013.

Most cars have there specs on parkers, but for instance I can tow a 1.2ton trailer behind my E36 3-series.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Back