Van versus trailer

We have one of these pick ups and I am led to believe it can tow a 3.5 ton trailer payload legally... (Which of course it can with ease and does so on a regular basis on a tri axle trailer)
http://isuzu.co.uk/?gclid=CK_TvqWorL4CFQzItAodGEcAQQ

Is that tosh?

Anyways won't get too bothered about it either way unless were pulled over. A work horse is for working!

Sponsored Links
We have one of these pick ups and I am led to believe it can tow a 3.5 ton trailer payload legally...
When you you pass your test?
- I would also be somewhat wary of towing that weight without something in the bed of the truck. But equally, as you say, its there to be used.

Daniel

I'm class 1 HGV licenced. :D

We had a small 7 ton lorry but then they brought out a haulage licence so we ditched the lorry to keep the expenses down.

At least until they think up a new way to generate cash with the pick up/trailer combination.

I'm not sure about the Isuzu pick-up but the old Diahatsu Fourtak short wheel base can tow 3.5 tons, I'm sure there will be others.

You'll be aware that HGV's are subject to Operator Licensing requirements, ie they are subject to tachograph rules, they must have an operator's license, and whoever is "responsible" for them must hold a professional CPC. This is to make sure the vehicle is maintained properly, and that the tacho rules and driving/working hours are complied with.

However these rules aren't only for big HGV's, they actually kick in at 3.5 tons gross train weight (which is now called MAM Maximum Allowable Weight or something). That's why you see lots of single wheel base 3.5 ton gross Sprinters around, not the double wheeled 4.5 tonner ones.

So, in theory, if you're towing a heavy trailer with a Sprinter you'll be over 3.5 tons so you need an Operators License. But, every man and his dog seems to tow a mini excavator on the back of a Transit, so it looks like the rules aren't enforced much. I think there's different rules depending on whether it's a goods trailer or not tho, and I also think you can use log books instead of tacho's, depending on what you're towing, how far, and how often.

MAM also becomes important. Say for example a 3.5 ton gross Sprinter can tow 3 tons (I can't remember exactly). You'd think the MAM would be 3.5 tons + 3 tons = 6.5 tons. But this isn't necessarily the case as the MAM for the van might be just 5 tons. So your van would need to be empty (at 2 tons unladen) so that your combined weight of van + trailer is 2 tons van + 3 tons trailer = 5 tons MAM.

There's more to it all, and my memory is rusty on some of it, but check it out properly if you don't want Plod on your back.

Sponsored Links
"You'll be aware that HGV's are subject to Operator Licensing requirements, ie they are subject to tachograph rules"

Yeah. Like I said that's why we got rid of the lorry. It was costing £700 quid to do the cpc and get the operators licence.

We also haul a 20 ton load of peri formwork on a trailer but no cpc or haulage licence needed for that.
Try figuring that one out. :LOL:

Btw you don’t need an operator’s licence if your trailer’s unladen weight is less than 1,020 kg and you only carry your own goods.

From the link below you can see the extortonitate fees that the licencing cartel issue...
https://www.gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicle-operator/fees-for-goods-vehicle-licences

Back